Lara specialises in clinical negligence, industrial disease, inquests, personal injury and product liability. In addition to drafting and advisory work she has extensive court experience, regularly appearing at trials and interlocutory hearings. She has also recently appeared as junior counsel in a large group action in the High Court.
Before pupillage Lara gained a PhD in Stem Cell Biology from the University of Cambridge, after an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry at the University of Bristol. Her background makes her very comfortable grasping and analysing complex issues swiftly and in considerable depth.
She has valuable experience of the different perspectives of the legal profession, having spent time on secondment at a large solicitors firm in London.
She returned to practice in September 2019, following an 18-month career break.
Lara has a particular interest in clinical negligence claims and is regularly instructed to attend hearings and draft pleadings, for both Claimants and Defendants. Her experience covers a wide range of disciplines, including obstetrics, gynaecology, respiratory medicine, cardiology and orthopaedics and includes cases involving issues of consent.
Lara has a keen interest in the area of Industrial Disease and is building her practice in all areas within this discipline, including asbestos, acoustic shock and aerotoxicity claims.
Lara represents families and interested parties at both Pre-Inquest Reviews and Inquests.
- An inquest concerning falls and falls management within a Care Home
- An inquest concerned with a fire caused by a faulty fridge/freezer.
Lara has a broad personal injury practice, drafting pleadings, advising and appearing regularly at trial and at interlocutory hearings for both Claimants and Defendants.
Examples of recent instructions include:
- Employers’ liability claims, acting for both employers and employees.
- Occupiers’ liability claims.
- Public liability claims, representing local authorities.
- Animals Act claims.
- Road traffic accidents.
Lara is developing her practice in this area and has a particular interest in product liability claims involving medical products, devices and drugs. Her background in biochemistry and cell biology makes her very comfortable grasping and analysing the complex issues involved with these claims.
She recently acted as junior counsel (led by Michael Spencer QC and Alexander Antelme QC) for the manufacturer in the Pinnacle metal-on-metal hip implant group litigation, which involved a four-month QBD trial.
- The Metal-on-Metal hip litigation (2018) – Lara was part of the team of five Counsel, led by Alexander Antelme QC, acting for DePuy International Limited. DePuy succeeded at first instance following a four month trial of a preliminary issue relating to ‘defect’ under the Consumer Protection Act 1987. The Claimants did not seek permission to appeal.
- BPTC (Outstanding), College of Law, London (2011 – 2012)
- Graduate Diploma (Distinction), BPP Law School, London (2011)
- PhD, Pembroke College, University of Cambridge (2005 – 2009)
- BSc (First Class Honours), University of Bristol (2002 – 2005)