During his long and eminent practice at the Bar he specialised in major personal injury, professional and clinical negligence actions and insurance cases.
After completing his pupillage with Hugh Griffiths (later Lord Griffiths), he practised at the Common Law Bar from 2 Crown Office Row throughout a distinguished 30 year career.
- Treasurer of Lincoln’s Inn (2003)
- Presiding Judge on South Eastern Circuit (1995 – 1998)
- Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court of Justice (1990)
- Chairman of the Bar of England & Wales (1983)
- Elected leader of the South Eastern Circuit (1981)