Victoria Woodbridge specialises in personal injury and clinical negligence claims, but also receives instructions in commercial and insurance disputes and cases of professional negligence (non-medical).
Victoria’s clinical negligence practice is incredibly varied and she has experience of claims that cover a wide range of subject matter, including:
- Birth-related injury (cerebral palsy)
- Uterine rupture during labour leading to death of infant at term (fatal claim and damages for psychiatric injury to mother)
- Uterine perforation caused during negligently performed termination leading to hysterectomy and infertility
- Negligent removal of ovary and fallopian tube during abdominal surgery
- Failure to diagnose ectopic pregnancy
- Failure to recognise and treat life threatening haemorrhage following routine hysterectomy leading to acute loss of blood and lung injury (difficult issues of causation)
- Claim against GP for failure to diagnose and refer for treatment for severe wound infection following haemorrhoidectomy (issues of breach and causation)
- Injury following colonic irrigation
- Claim against GP for failure to refer for diagnostic testing and scans following repeated urinary tract infections. Claimant had massive calculus in her kidney which went undetected as a result of negligence; she suffered a progressive decline in renal function and had to have kidney removed
- Claim for damages for complications following vasectomy (issue of informed consent)
- Defence of a claim for damages following a radical prostatectomy for cancer
- Claim for negligent dentistry
- Claims for negligently performed plastic surgery, including breast augmentation and reduction and facial surgery
- Claim against local primary case trust for failure to diagnose deafness in young infant
- Failure to diagnose epiglottitis leading to unnecessary tracheotomy
Victoria represents both Claimants and Defendants (NHSLA, MDU and MPS). In connection with her clinical negligence work Victoria accepts instructions for Coroner’s Inquests.
Victoria has a mixed Claimant and Defendant PI practice. She has advised and litigated across a broad spectrum of personal injury and fatal accident claims of all values, including public liability, employer’s liability, health & safety and road traffic claims. She has ongoing experience of cases involving severe and catastrophic injury, including cases of severe and devastating head injury. Victoria also undertakes industrial disease work and has experience of claims for mesothelioma and asbestos related injury, noise induced hearing loss, work-related upper limb disorders (VWF and HAVS), asthma and stress claims.
Victoria is available for mediations and round-table meetings and will attend client’s offices for conferences. Victoria undertakes CFA cases.
In connection with her personal injury work she appears regularly in Coroner’s Courts and Magistrates Courts for road traffic and Health & Safety prosecutions.
- OCS Group v Davinia Wells  1 WLR 1895 – Nelson J pre-action disclosure of a Claimant’s medical records – on appeal, Nelson J held that the Court at first instance had correctly exercised its discretion under CPR Part 31.16 not to order pre-action disclosure of a Claimant’s medical records in connection with a potential personal injury claim.
- Counsel from Crown Office Chambers successfully defend trial judge’s decision on appeal in cauda equina syndrome case
- Success for Erica Power and Victoria Woodbridge in Clinical Negligence claim
- Darnley v Croydon Health Services NHS Trust
- The Civil Liability Bill – Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?
- Shelford Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn (1999)
- BA Hons (London)
“An excellent opponent with good analysis and attention to detail. Sympathetic to the needs of a disabled claimant. Easy to work with but strong in negotiation.”
Legal 500, 2021
“She’s thoughtful, well prepared and a very good negotiator.”; “She is excellent on her feet.”; “Her medical knowledge is phenomenal.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“Incredibly personable, her quantum analysis is excellent – a joy to work with.”
Legal 500, 2020
“She is very thorough, has a really good bedside manner and is very good with clients.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020