Erica Power specialises in the fields of product liability, clinical negligence and personal injury.
She has extensive experience of acting for both Claimants and Defendants and is also experienced in group litigation. She has a practical and down to earth approach to her cases, which she combines with a sharp eye for detail. She works well in teams and prides herself on the quality of her relationships with both professional and lay clients. She is listed in both Chambers and Partners and the Legal 500 as a Leading Junior in the areas of Product Liability and Clinical Negligence.
Erica acts for both patients and practitioners in all areas of clinical negligence including spinal and brain injury, negligent surgery and post-operative complications, obstetric and gynaecological negligence, misprescription of drugs and plastic surgery. She has experience in cases involving, inter alia:
- Cauda Equina Syndrome
- Spinal abscess
- Failed breast reconstruction
- Delay in diagnosis of breast cancer
- Bladder and bowel injuries during surgery
- Vascular injuries
- Obstetric tears
- Injuries arising from orthopaedic surgery (including spinal surgery and joint replacement)
- Diabetic related amputation
- Gastric surgery
- Psychiatric management
- Failure of medical device during surgery – associated issues of product liability
Erica’s practice encompasses all types of product liability including group actions in relation to pharmaceutical and medical products.
- Instructed by Kennedys in the MOM Hip Litigation on behalf of Finsbury Orthopaedics, Finsbury Instruments and Mitch/Stryker. (Also appeared for De Puy at interlocutory stage).
- Instructed for Defendant manufacturers in early UK litigation relating to TVT (vaginal mesh) – work included liaison with US clients on case to be put forward in UK courts.
- Instructed in the PIP Breast Implant Litigation on behalf of Transform Medical Group (CS) Limited and their insurers in relation to the supply of PIP breast implants manufactured in France (led by Jonathan Waite QC). Involved in all aspects of the litigation including preparation of pleadings and expert reports and representation of client at interlocutory hearings.
- XYZ v Schering Health Care Ltd  EWHC 1420 – Junior counsel for Schering Healthcare Ltd and John Wyeth & Brother Ltd in the Oral Contraceptive group litigation in respect of cardiovascular disorders (including DVT) alleged to have arisen from taking 3rd generation oral contraceptives.
- Worsley v Tambrands Ltd – Junior counsel on behalf of Proctor & Gamble and Tambrands Ltd – toxic shock syndrome associated with the use of Tampax brand tampons.
- Instructed as part of the defence team acting for John Wyeth & Brother in the Benzodiazepine Litigation.
Erica has wide experience in all areas of personal injury work, including injuries of the utmost severity, fatal accidents and employers’ liability. She has a mixed practice, acting for both Claimants and insurers.
Erica has acted in cases involving various forms of catastrophic injury, including severe brain damage, spinal injuries and amputations. She has also acted in numerous fatal accident claims for both Claimants and Defendants over the years.
- Success for Erica Power and Victoria Woodbridge in Clinical Negligence claim
- Erica Power successfully defends surgeon performing a unicompartment knee replacement
- Kennedy & Hardwicke Scholarships, Lincoln’s Inn (1990)
- Inns of Court Studentship Award (1989)
- LLM, University of Virginia
- BA (Hons), Trinity College, Cambridge University
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
“Her forensic abilities are well known, she can be relied upon to uncover the smallest details, and her clear explanation of the issues is much appreciated by all. She assimilates information with remarkable alacrity and is able to offer both empathy and realism in conference with clients and experts.”
Chambers & Partners 2020
“Her cross-examination is very forensic.”
Legal 500 2020
“She’s a very strong performer and formidable advocate”
Chambers & Partners 2019
“A very accomplished product liability barrister, who’s very considered in her approach and also very responsive. She’s always willing to call you and talk something through, no matter how minor it is. Also has a very good, common-sense approach.”
Chambers & Partners 2016
“Her skillset includes personal injury, group litigation and product liability knowledge.”
Legal 500 2016
“She is a brilliant junior who provides strong support on the technical side.”
Chambers & Partners 2015
“Very approachable, intelligent and thorough, she has a good courtroom presence.”
Chambers & Partners 2015
“Hardworking; good in group litigation.”
Legal 500 2015