Erica Power specialises in the fields of personal injury, clinical negligence and product liability.
She has extensive experience of acting for both Claimants and Defendants and is also experienced in-group litigation. She has a practical and down to earth approach to her cases, which she combines with a sharp eye for detail, not least in relation to matters of quantum. She prides herself on the quality of her relationships with both professional and lay clients.
She returned to full-time practice in Chambers in September 2012 following a period spent living abroad.
She is currently instructed in the PIP Breast Implant litigation.
She accepts instructions on a CFA basis and is happy to attend conferences outside Chambers at her clients’ convenience.
Erica acts for both patients and practitioners in all areas of clinical negligence including negligent surgery and post-operative complications, obstetric and gynaecological negligence, misprescription of drugs and plastic surgery. Recent cases have involved, inter alia:
- Bladder and bowel injuries during surgery.
- Cervical cancer – delay in diagnosis.
- Pre-eclampsia during pregnancy.
- Hip replacement surgery.
- Chronic pain syndrome following kidney surgery.
- Stroke following spinal surgery.
- Alleged mismanagement of brain injury leading to patient’s suicide.
- Failure of medical device during surgery – associated issues of product liability.
Erica has wide experience in all areas of personal injury work, including injuries of the utmost severity, fatal accidents and employers’ liability. She has a mixed practice, acting for both Claimants and insurers.
Erica has acted in cases involving various forms of catastrophic injury, including severe brain damage, spinal injuries and amputations. She has a particular interest in cases involving significant head injuries and is familiar with settling complex Schedules and Counterschedules.
She has also acted in numerous fatal accident claims for both Claimants and Defendants over the years.
- Settlement of £600,000 in respect of a young man injured in a road traffic accident when he was just three years old, and an award of £1m approved by the court in respect of a young woman who lost her unborn child in an accident in which she also sustained a severe head injury. Capacity and credibility were hotly contested.
- Alexander & Others v Midland Bank Plc  ICR 464,  IRLR 723, CA. Junior counsel for the Defendant. Experience of a wide range of conditions and occupations including data entry operatives, sonographers and factory.
Erica’s practice encompasses all types of product liability including group actions in relation to pharmaceutical and medical products.
- Instructed in the PIP Breast Implant Litigation (group action) on behalf of Transform Medical Group (CS) Limited and their insurers in relation to the supply of PIP breast implants manufactured in France.
- Instructed on behalf of May & Baker / Rhone Poulenc in respect of Dimer X contrast medium.
- Instructed as part of the defence team acting for John Wyeth & Brother in the Benzodiazepine litigation.
- XYZ v Schering Health Care Ltd  EWHC 1420 – Junior counsel for Schering Healthcare Ltd and John Wyeth & Brother Ltd in the Oral Contraceptive group litigation in respect of cardiovascular disorders (including DVT) alleged to have arisen from taking 3rd generation oral contraceptives.
- Worsley v Tambrands Ltd – Junior counsel on behalf of Proctor & Gamble and Tambrands Ltd – toxic shock syndrome associated with the use of Tampax brand tampons.
Erica undertakes both solicitors’ and barristers’ negligence claims, particularly those with a personal injury element.
- Success for Erica Power and Victoria Woodbridge in Clinical Negligence claim
- Erica Power successfully defends surgeon performing a unicompartment knee replacement
- ADR Accredited Mediator
- Kennedy & Hardwicke Scholarships, Lincoln’s Inn (1990)
- Inns of Court Studentship Award (1989)
- LLM, University of Virginia
- BA (Hons), Trinity College, Cambridge University
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
“Her forensic abilities are well known, she can be relied upon to uncover the smallest details, and her clear explanation of the issues is much appreciated by all. She assimilates information with remarkable alacrity and is able to offer both empathy and realism in conference with clients and experts.”
Chambers & Partners 2020
“Her cross-examination is very forensic.”
Legal 500 2020
“She’s a very strong performer and formidable advocate”
Chambers & Partners 2019
“A very accomplished product liability barrister, who’s very considered in her approach and also very responsive. She’s always willing to call you and talk something through, no matter how minor it is. Also has a very good, common-sense approach.”
Chambers & Partners 2016
“Her skillset includes personal injury, group litigation and product liability knowledge.”
Legal 500 2016
“She is a brilliant junior who provides strong support on the technical side.”
Chambers & Partners 2015
“Very approachable, intelligent and thorough, she has a good courtroom presence.”
Chambers & Partners 2015
“Hardworking; good in group litigation.”
Legal 500 2015