Josh’s developing practice covers the range of Chambers’ practice areas, with a particular emphasis on commercial disputes, insurance, professional negligence, property damage and construction. Josh’s recent and current instructions include:
- Settling a defence and advising with respect to a professional negligence claim against a property surveyor;
- Settling a defence to a claim against a local authority for subsidence allegedly caused by tree roots;
- Settling Particulars of Claim in relation to a defective car.
Josh also has a developing personal injury practice. He is regularly instructed to appear in small claims and fast track trials with a personal injury component, as well as interim applications and CMCs. His recent instructions in this area include:
- Written advice on a substantial general damages claim;
- Settling a Defence to an Occupiers’ Liability claim.
During pupillage, Josh’s work included:
- Drafting a defence and advising with respect to a property damage claim;
- Written advice concerning a contractual provision to obtain joint insurance and related issues concerning an insurer’s right of subrogation;
- Research and a skeleton argument for the hearing of a claim concerning the correct interpretation of a retail operations agreement;
- Written advice as to jurisdiction under the Brussels Regulation for a direct claim against an Italian insurer;
- Drafting Particulars of Claim alleging professional negligence against planning advisers with respect to a property development;
- Drafting Particulars of Claim alleging various breaches of a franchise agreement;
- Written advice concerning commercial dilapidations claims;
- Writing various skeleton arguments and advices on procedural matters, including late addition or substitution of parties, security for costs and relief from sanctions.
Before coming to the Bar, Josh read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Merton College, Oxford, gaining First Class, before reading for an MPhil in International Relations. He then completed his legal studies at City Law School.
Winner of the Times Law Awards (2016): First Prize Essay on “Does Europe need a new legal framework to tackle the crisis of mass migration?”
Winner of the Maitland Advocacy Prize (2015), contesting the matter of European Ventures LLP & others v Cedar Capital Partners LLC  UKSC 45.
Gray’s Inn (2016): Bedingfield Scholarship.
Gray’s Inn (2015): CPE/GDL Award.
City Law School (2015): GDL Scholarship.
Bar Professional Training Course (2016-2017): City Law School
Graduate Diploma in Law (2015-2016): City Law School
MPhil, Merton College, University of Oxford (2013-2015)
BA (Hons), Merton College, University of Oxford (2010-2013), First Class