Josh’s developing practice covers the range of Chambers’ practice areas, with a particular emphasis on commercial disputes, insurance, professional negligence, property damage and construction.
As well as settling pleadings, advising and other written work, Josh has a busy court practice. He is regularly instructed to appear both at trial and in interim applications and CCMCs.
Before coming to the Bar, Josh read Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Merton College, Oxford, gaining First Class, before reading for an MPhil in International Relations. He then completed his legal studies at City Law School.
Josh’s current and recent instructions include:
- Advising on disputes relating to the Construction Plant Hire Association (CPA) terms, including issues of incorporation and exclusion / limitation clauses;
- Advising with respect to a claim for unpaid commission;
- Advising and drafting Particulars of Claim in respect of an allegedly defective car;
- Settling defences to sale of goods and services claims involving issues of contractual interpretation and reliance on various provisions of the Consumer Rights Act 2015;
- Settling a Defence to a claim concerning an alleged defective shower unit;
- Settled a Reply in a contractual dispute raising issues concerning bailment and incorporation of terms;
- Settled a Defence to a claim for alleged unpaid fees involving issues of oral variations and/or collateral agreements;
- Settling Particulars of Claim seeking the return of high-value jewellery and related declarations following its alleged conversion by a third party;
- Assisting (during pupillage) with a Skeleton Argument in relation to a claim concerning the correct interpretation of a retail operations agreement;
- Drafting (during pupillage) Particulars of Claim alleging multiple breaches of a franchise agreement;
- Drafting (during pupillage) Particulars of Claim alleging breaches of fiduciary duties, breach of confidence and breaches of contract against a former director of a voluntary association.
Josh has a busy professional negligence practice. His current and recent instructions include:
- Settled a Defence on behalf of accountants in a professional negligence claim, involving issues of scope of duty, negligence and quantum;
- Advising, settling a defence and a successful application for strike out/summary judgment in a breach of contract and professional negligence claim against property surveyors;
- Advising insurer clients with respect to an electricity failure at commercial premises against multiple defendants;
- Settling a Letter of Response and advising a solicitors’ firm with respect to professional negligence allegations concerning multiple dwellings relief from stamp duty on a conveyance;
- Advising and settling defences in claims alleging solicitors’ negligence with respect to conveyancing matters, including advice as to rights of way and forfeiture clauses;
- Acting on behalf of a management company resisting an injunction application seeking interim performance of alleged contractual obligations;
- Settled a Reply and Defence to Counterclaim on behalf of property surveyors in a dispute relating to a pre-purchase property survey and unpaid fees.
Josh has a busy and developing property damage practice. His current and recent instructions include:
- Advising on prospects in a claim against a plumber concerning allegedly negligent installations of shower fittings;
- Settled a Reply in a contribution claim against a sub-contractor relating to flooding damage in a new-build property following allegedly defective plumbing works;
- Advising insurer clients and settling Particulars of Claim with respect to an electricity failure at commercial premises against multiple defendants;
- Settling a defence to a claim against a local authority for subsidence allegedly caused by tree roots;
- Advising as to prospects with respect to a substantial escape of water claim involving issues of sufficiency of warning notices and scope of duty;
- Advised in relation to prospects of success in a claim relating to fire damage from a recycling plant, including issues concerning Rylands v Fletcher liability in cases of fire damage;
- Settling defences and advising with respect to six-figure property damage claims related to fire damage.
Josh has a developing general property practice. His recent and current instructions include:
- Acting in the First Tier Property Tribunal on behalf of landlords in a service charge dispute, involving written as well as oral submissions;
- Settling pleadings in housing disrepair claims, both in the context of short and long leases;
- Advising with respect to claims made pursuant to the Defective Premises Act 1972;
- Acting on behalf of a management company resisting an injunction application seeking interim performance of alleged contractual obligations.
In addition to his general property damage practice, Josh has been instructed on insurance disputes including:
- Settling a defence to a contribution and/or indemnity claim involving issues of interpretation of indemnity clauses and s.1(4) of the Civil Liability (Contribution Act) 1978;
- Settling a defence to a claim for economic losses following an alleged collision with a railway bridge made against an insurer under the Third Parties (Rights against Insurers) Act 2010;
- Advising insurer clients as to a potential claim against an uninsured driver pursuant to an indemnity agreement;
- Advising as to the correct interpretation and effect of a contractual obligation to take out joint insurance;
- Advising on jurisdiction under Article 13 of the Brussels Regulation in a contribution claim against an Italian insurer;
- Advising (during pupillage) on whether the benefit of an indemnity policy had successfully been assigned to the prospective claimant.
Josh has a developing construction practice. His recent and current instructions in this area include:
- Settled Particulars of Claim for damages relating to the installation of a balcony at residential premises;
- Settling Particulars of Claim in a claim by main contractors against sub-contractors for the cost of rectification works in a roof construction project;
- Advising and settling Particulars of Claim in relation to damage following the construction and installation of interior doors involving allegations of breach of contract/negligence as well as the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015;
- Advising on disputes relating to the Construction Plant Hire Association (CPA) terms, including issues of incorporation and exclusion / limitation clauses.
Josh has a broad personal injury practice. His recent instructions include:
- Advised a company as to the merits of its defence to an employer’s liability claim against it relating to allegedly defective machinery and successfully defended the claim at trial. The case involved (amongst others) the issue of whether the employee had been acting in the course of employment;
- Settled a Defence to a claim under the Defective Premises Act 1972 and successfully defended the claim at trial;
- Settling a Defence to an Occupiers’ Liability claim;
- Settling a Defence to claims under the Animals’ Act 1971;
- Settling a Defence to a claim concerning an accident at work;
- Advising on quantum in a substantial general damages claim;
- Advising on quantum for the purposes of infant approval settlements.
Winner of the Times Law Awards (2016): First Prize Essay on “Does Europe need a new legal framework to tackle the crisis of mass migration?”
Winner of the Maitland Advocacy Prize (2015), contesting the matter of European Ventures LLP & others v Cedar Capital Partners LLC  UKSC 45.
Gray’s Inn (2016): Bedingfield Scholarship.
Gray’s Inn (2015): CPE/GDL Award.
City Law School (2015): GDL Scholarship.
- “When Insolvency Trumps Rough Justice: Injunctions and Stays of Execution of Adjudication Proceedings” (David Sears QC, Crispin Winser and Joshua Brown), The Society of Construction Law
Bar Professional Training Course (2016-2017): City Law School
Graduate Diploma in Law (2015-2016): City Law School
MPhil, Merton College, University of Oxford (2013-2015)
BA (Hons), Merton College, University of Oxford (2010-2013), First Class