Charlotte Jones’ practice has for a number of years been almost exclusively in clinical negligence work. She is instructed on a regular basis on behalf of a large number of Claimants and Defendant health authorities, trusts, medical defence organisations and the NHSLA.
She has attended a large number of mediations and is familiar with all types of ADR. She regularly represents families or clinicians at inquests and is happy to undertake cases on a CFA basis.
Charlotte has experience of all types of clinical practice. In recent months she has advised or represented Claimants or Defendants in claims which include the following areas:
- Obstetric claims: claims on behalf of babies brain damaged at birth and now suffering cerebral palsy; shoulder dystocia resulting in brachial plexus injury; third degree tears resulting in incontinence and other complications; anaesthetic awareness during delivery; twin to twin transfusion; feto-maternal haemorrhage; unrelated maternal condition affecting mode of delivery.
- Gynaecology: termination of one of twin fetuses; bladder damage through failure to catheterize; ureteric and bowel injury.
- Oncology: late diagnosis of breast cancer, mismanagement of cervical disease; delay in recognition of a childhood neck tumour presenting as benign lumps.
- Anaesthetic cases: complications arising from the administration of general anaesthetic including massive brain damage.
- Orthopaedic: hip replacement surgery, hip revision with prosthetic breakage, laminectomy with no spinal stabilisation.
- Neurosurgery: failure to recognise and treat subdural haemorrhage, delay in treating a head injury with major causation argument; spinal surgery with resulting paralysis.
- Colorectal surgery: failure to fashion a defunctioning colostomy, treatment of anal fissure, incontinence following obstetric damage.
- Paediatric: late diagnosis of childhood diseases including meningitis.
- Cosmetic and other elective surgery: breast reconstruction including following mastectomy.
She has considerable experience of high value brain damaged baby claims, in terms of both liability and quantum issues. The majority of my trials involve cases of this kind.
- MA in Law, Trinity Hall, Cambridge (1981)
“She has a strong practice and an incisive mind.”
Chambers & Partners, 2022
“A formidable, very experienced and very skilled barrister.”
Chambers & Partners, 2022
“Charlotte is very impressive. She is calm and measured, and tackles complex matters easily. Her analysis is very thorough.”
Legal 500, 2022
“An impressive advocate who understands complex medical and legal issues yet has a very straightforward approach.”
Legal 500, 2021
“She’s excellent in her analysis of expert evidence, and fantastic at breaking down complicated case histories and explaining issues to clients. She’s also a skilled advocate.”; “An effortless barrister who is well respected by others – she’s kind but still very no-nonsense.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“She has a real depth of knowledge, excellent attention to detail and a good rapport with clients.”; “She’s very experienced and gets straight to the point in complex cases.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“Her attention to detail is exceptional. She covers pretty much every base and considers all different scenarios. She has a good grasp of the medical issues”. “An incredible trial advocate” who is “extremely impressive and conscientious”
Chambers & Partners, 2016
“She is sympathetic with clients and tough with opponents”
Legal 500, 2016
“She’s excellent an analysing expert evidence and fantastic at breaking down complicated case histories” and “the complete package – she is tough when necessary but empathetic with clients. Her knowledge is great and she has an ability to get to the point. Her advice is always 100% sound and she is accessible and supportive”
Chambers & Partners, 2015
“The equal of many junior silks in terms of technical accomplishment and evidence handling”
Legal 500, 2015
She is very good on her feet, and is quite a formidable advocate, but not in an aggressive sense. She’s got a nice manner, but she doesn’t take any prisoners. Her drafting skills are very good, and she is one of the best barristers in terms of client care”
Chambers & Partners, 2014
“Truly superb; she fills clients with confidence”
Legal 500, 2014