Kim Franklin KC is a recognised specialist in the construction, engineering and infrastructure sectors. She acts as a full-time arbitrator, dispute board member and adjudicator, resolving disputes arising from complex projects in international arbitration, dispute boards and as UK construction adjudicator. Appointed for arbitrations under ICC, LCIA, ADCCAC and DIAC rules in the UK, Europe and the Gulf, she acts as Sole Arbitrator, Party Appointed and Tribunal Chair.
Appointed King’s Counsel in 2016, Kim has a flair for technically complex, document-heavy disputes, with a reputation for clarity, strong case management and sound strategic judgment.
A Chartered Arbitrator, Kim acts as party appointed, sole arbitrator and chair for domestic and international arbitrations under UNCITRAL, ADCCAC, DIAC, LCIA and ICC rules, including Expedited Procedure and as Emergency Arbitrator. She is appointed for arbitrations seated in London, Europe and the Gulf, including Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Bahrain, Oman and Qatar. Recent appointments include:
- Party Appointment, ICC arbitration seated in Singapore, refinery project in Abu Dhabi (2023)
- Tribunal Chair, LCIA arbitration, retail project in UAE (2022)
- Party Appointment, ad hoc arbitration under Qatar law for technical media channel infrastructure (2021)
- Party Appointment, DIAC rules for a dispute arising out of a contract for multi-storey construction (2022)
- Sole Arbitrator, ICC rules for a dispute arising out of an agreement to provide electronic trading platform services (2021)
- Party Appointment, ICC Rules, Saudi law, under a contract for civil engineering works for a major metro infrastructure project (2021)
- Party Appointment, ICC arbitration, English law, serial proceedings arising out of a UK biomass power plant (2019 -2022)
- Emergency Arbitrator, ICC Rules for emergency relief claimed under long-term maintenance agreements for a power plant in India (2020)
- Tribunal Chair, UNCITRAL rules, arbitration seated in Geneva for contract for works to a power plant in Kosovo (2020)
- Tribunal Chair, ICC rules, seated in London – contract for a power plant in Pakistan (2019)
- Party Appointment, ICC arbitration, London – contract for Egypt’s largest oil refinery (2019)
- Tribunal Chair, ADCCAC arbitration under UAE law, for military facilities in Abu Dhabi (2019)
- Sole Arbitrator, ICC arbitration UAE law, contract for MEP systems to a development in Abu Dhabi (2018)
- Party Appointment, ICC arbitration seated in Geneva for a power plant project in Iraq (2018)
- Sole Arbitrator, ICC expedited procedure industrial water treatment plant in Europe (2017)
- Tribunal chair for ADCCAC arbitration under Kazakhstan law, for a multi-use project in Kazakhstan (2017)
- Party Appointment UNCITRAL rules Bahrain for dredging and land reclamation works (2017).
- Party appointed ICC arbitration under English law contract for a fertilizer terminal in Tanzania (2016).
- Tribunal chair for ICC arbitration for specialist claims in airport construction, Qatar (2016).
- Party appointment, ICC arbitration, Oman law, specialist claims for airport construction, Oman (2015).
- Party appointment, DIAC arbitration for the construction of canal infrastructure in Dubai.
An accredited UK Construction Adjudicator with TeCSA, TECBAR, RIBA, IChemE and the CIArb, Kim specialises in complex disputes including PFI, often as a panel appointment or DAB member with other expert disciplines. Recent appointments include:
- High specification domestic refurbishment project in North London (2023)
- Serial claims arising out of waste processing facilities in the UK North (2022)
- Contractors’ claims for specialist steelworks for iconic London development (2022)
- Contractor’s claims arising out of waste processing plant in the UK North East (2021)
- Contractor’s claims arising out of a residential development in the UK South East (2021)
- Developer’s claims for civils works to a brewery development in the UK Midlands (2021)
- Sole Expert Determination of insurance provisions for hospital storm damage in British Overseas Territory (2020)
- Specialist contractor’s delay and variation claims for process engineering works for an energy from waste plant in the UK’s South East (2020)
- Declaratory relief claimed as to the contractual effect of the Covid-19 pandemic on a contract for cross-channel electricity supply works (2020)
- Specialist contractor’s claims for losses at an energy recovery plant in the UK’s West (2020)
- Claims for defective turbine at a waste to energy plant in the UK’s South West (2020)
- Party appointed DAB Member for claims for a container port in Central America (2020)
- Panel Adjudicator for extended serial adjudications including contract breach and insurance under a PFI contract for a BMT waste processing plant in the UK’s South East (2016-2020)
- Party appointed Adjudicator for technically complex multi-party, parallel disputes under PFI contracts for a college in the UK’s North conducted over 18 months (2019-2020)
- Party appointed Adjudicator for disputed demolition works for HS2 (2019)
- Party appointed adjudicator for high value claims under PFI contracts for the external refurbishment and cladding of tower blocks in the UK’s North (2019)
- Very complex £12m claims under two contracts for maintenance of large-scale social housing in two regions of the UK (2016)
- Complex £4m claims arising out of the refurbishment of an historic estate residence in the UK – conducted over 4 months (2014)
- Defective panoramic elevator system for iconic project on the UK’s south coast (2013)
- Party Appointed Arbitrator, specialist delay claims under ADCCAC rules for works at an oil refinery in Abu Dhabi.
- Adjudicator for contractors claims under IChemE rules for civils works for a waste plant in the UK North East.
- Party Appointment, serial ICC arbitrations seated in London arising out of a UK biomass power station.
- Emergency Arbitrator, ICC Rules for emergency relief claimed under long-term maintenance agreements for a power plant in India.
- Adjudicator for specialist contractor’s delay and variation claims under IChemE rules, for process engineering works for an energy from waste plant in the UK’s South East.
- Adjudicator for specialist contractor’s claims for losses during works at an UK energy recovery plant.
- Adjudicator for high value damages claims for defective turbine at a UK waste to energy plant.
- Tribunal Chair, ICC arbitration seated in London for a contract for a power plant in Pakistan.
- CIArb appointed Adjudicator for completion disputes for a biomass plant in the UK’s North.
- Party Appointment, ICC arbitration seated in London arising out of pipework for the largest refinery project in Egypt.
- Party Appointment, ICC arbitration seated in Geneva. EPC contract for a power plant project in Iraq.
- PFI Panel Adjudicator for serial disputes under a contract for a UK BMT waste processing plant.
- Adjudicator for claims for international engineering services for a UK waste recovery park.
- Successfully acting as leader for an Antiguan power provider’s Privy Council Appeal against the American International Bank.
- Advising a power company on claims against the Antiguan Government for breach of a Joint Venture Agreement in favour of rival foreign contractors. At first instance, the Eastern Caribbean Court of Appeal and appearing in the successful appeal to the Privy Council.
- Advising power providers in connection with claims for the construction of power plants in the UK in a series of arbitration hearings of claims, including the construction of the piled foundations.
- Sole arbitrator for ICC arbitration seated in Abu Dhabi for disputes arising out of a contract for the water-cooled chiller package for a high-profile mixed-use development in the UAE.
- Appointed ICC sole arbitrator for expedited procedure of claims concerning an industrial water treatment plant in the Czech Republic.
- Acting as party-appointed Arbitrator in an ICC Arbitration for a fertilizer terminal in Tanzania.
- Decided as Adjudicator claims by international consultants for services provided at UK steelworks.
- Adjudicator – dispute between steelwork supplier and contractor for a UK LNG gas processing plant.
- Advising a Japanese chemical company successfully resisting construction claims for a chemical processing plant in the UK at an extended series of arbitration hearings under ICC rules in London.
- Acting as Adjudicator for contractor’s claims arising from troubled conversion of historic hotel building into residential accommodation.
- Acting as Arbitrator for disputes concerning the management of leisure and holiday parks in the UK.
- Acting for an international joint venture for the construction of a hotel and residential complex on the Jumeriah Palm, Dubai at DIAC arbitration in Dubai.
- Advised international lawyers in the BVI representing developers of a hotel complex in St Lucia.
- Party appointment, ICC Arbitration under Saudi law arising from contract for civil engineering works for a major metro infrastructure project.
- Dispute Board Member for final account claims for a container terminal in Central America.
- Party appointed Adjudicator for disputes under a contract for demolition works for HS2.
- Tribunal chair, ADCCAC Arbitration under a contract for military facilities in the UAE.
- Acting as Adjudicator for high value £66m claims by service provider under PFI contracts for provision of roads in the UK Midlands
- Party appointment, ad hoc arbitration for dredging and land reclamation works in Bahrain.
- Tribunal chair, ICC Arbitration for specialist contractor claims for airport construction in Qatar.
- Party appointed arbitrator, ICC Arbitration for specialist claims for airport construction in Oman.
- Party appointed arbitrator, DIAC Arbitration for construction of a canal system at Dubai Creek.
- Deciding, as sole UK arbitrator, disputes arising out of the refurbishment of railway stations.
- Party appointed adjudicator for LTHW systems for a college building in the UK’s North.
- CIArb appointed Adjudicator for MEP claims under contract for food manufacturing facility.
- Acting as Adjudicator for dispute arising out of the construction of one of the UK’s largest GSHP.
- Sole Arbitrator in ICC arbitration for MEP systems to a mixed-use development in Abu Dhabi.
- Acting as Tribunal chair for specialist computer system claims in airport construction, Qatar.
- Decided as Adjudicator a dispute between a UK Contractor and Italian lift suppliers concerning the provision of an external panoramic lift for a landmark tower on the UK’s south coast.
- Adjudicator under TeCSA Rules for high value claim for payment and delay damages under contract for bespoke UK office building.
- Party Appointed Arbitrator DIAC rules multi-storey construction, Dubai.
- Sole arbitrator, ICC Rules, for a dispute arising out of an agreement for electronic trading platform services.
- Appointed as Adjudicator for complex and high value disputes arising out of the external refurbishment and cladding of a number of tower blocks in the north of England.
- Advising high net worth individuals on claims arising out the refurbishment of London residence.
- Acting as Counsel for an international contractor in its arbitration claim against Dubai’s largest residential developer arising out of one of Dubai’s first foreign built residential tower blocks.
- Deciding as Adjudicator for complex disruption claims under a contract for the refurbishment of an historic estate residence in Hampshire, UK.
- Tribunal chair, DIAC Arbitration concerning concrete defects in a residential complex in Dubai.
- Adjudicator for claims by interior designers for the refurbishment of luxury London residences.
- Adjudicator for extension of time claims for double level basement excavations at a prestigious residential property in Notting Hill, London.
Kim has acted for and claimed against insurers or most of her career at the bar, acting in the successful counsel team in the House of Lords in CRS v Taylor Young . Since taking silk she has decided complex construction contracts disputes including insurance provisions, including:
- Sole Expert Determination of insurance provisions for hospital storm damage in British Overseas Territory (2020).
- Panel Adjudicator for extended serial adjudications (18 No.) including contract breach and insurance provisions under a PFI contract for a BMT waste processing plant in the UK’s South East (2016-2020).
- Party appointed adjudicator for high value claims including insurance under PFI contracts for the external refurbishment and cladding of tower blocks in the UK’s North (2019).
Advising superyacht project rescue consultants on issues arising out of the construction of two 100m private yacht projects.
Speaker at the Superyacht Design Symposium at Palm Beach, Florida US 2011
- Successfully represented ICC arbitration claims against Dubai’s largest residential developer.
- Represented international M&E consultants successfully defending complex arbitration claims for the fit out of the largest retail outlet in Dubai Mall.
- Acted with success as leader, representing a multi-national joint venture in arbitration under UAE law concerning a hotel and residential complex on the Dubai Palm.
- Advised an Urban Development Corporation in a Government Enquiry in Trinidad & Tobago.
- Successfully acted for Japanese developers in extended ICC arbitrations for a UK chemical plant.
- American International Bank Ltd (in receivership) v Landmark Ltd  UK PC 17 (Privy Council) successfully upheld agreement for electricity supply in Antigua.
- Antigua Power Company Ltd v Attorney General  UKPC 23 (Privy Council) successful appeal upholding JVA for electricity provision in Antigua.
- CRS v Taylor Young  HL – Professionals’ contribution claim struck out – co-insured Contractor/Employer not ‘liable’ under Civil Liability (Contribution) Act 1978.
- West Faulkner Associates v. London Borough of Newham (1994) CA 71 BLR 1 – Successfully resisted Architects’ negligence claims. Meaning of ‘regularly and diligently’ in JCT Contract.
- Kim Franklin KC to speak at The Adjudication Society Annual Conference 2023
- Dubai Arbitration Week, 14-18 November 2022
- Kim Franklin QC to join panel at upcoming CIArb London Branch and KCL webinar: “Streamlining Evidence In Construction Disputes”
- Roger ter Haar QC, David Sears QC and Kim Franklin QC appointed to ADGM Arbitration Centre – Panel of Arbitrators
- King’s Counsel – 2016
- Chartered Arbitrator/FCIArb – 2000/1997
- Accredited Adjudicator – 1998
- Called to the Bar (Middle Temple) 1984
- LLB University of Warwick 1983.
Publications and Conferences
- Joint editor of the long-established Construction Law Journal. With Susan Lindsey, Kim was well known for their popular Legal Column in The Architects Journal.
- Inspirational speaker for professional women IWD (2021-2022).
- Chairing MBL Construction Law Conferences (2017- 2022).
- Speaker at Society of Construction Arbitrators conference 2022.
- Panel chair for CIArb DAS Convention (2019, 2020).
- Panel speaker at GAR Live, Paris Arbitration Week (2019).
- Lecturer, Construction Law MSc, Kings College London
- ICC UK Arbitration & ADR Committee Member, Technology & Construction Courts Barristers Association (TECBAR).
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Specialist Adjudication Group former London Branch PRO and PCC Chair).
- Society of Construction Arbitrators (Former Committee Member).
- Society of Construction Law (Former Council Member).
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA).
- Worshipful Company of Arbitrators (Liveryman).
- Arbitral Women.
A well-regarded silk with expertise in complex international disputes involving engineering infrastructure projects, Kim Franklin QC acts in DIAC and ICC arbitrations in the UK and the Gulf.
- Kim is a delight to work with; sensible and proactive. (2023)
- She is always a pleasure to work with. She is really good at reducing complicated matters and she is always one of the best prepared. (2022)
- She has everyone eating out of her hand. If there are two warring parties, Kim as arbitrator gets them to cooperate and calms everybody. (2021)
- Very well organised and good at keeping the parties to the mark. Writes extremely clearly and immediately. (2019)
- Clever, practical and no-nonsense, she has no airs and graces and is fun to work with. (2018)
- She has a good, firm hand on the tiller and is very good at steering a case. She shows a great energy and endless patience. She gets the job done and puts her back into it (2015)
- A true construction expert, especially good on international cases (2015)
- Extremely talented with formidable attention to detail and enormous experience (2014)
“Kim is a delight to work with; sensible and proactive.”
Chambers & Partners, 2023
“She is always a pleasure to work with. She is really good at reducing complicated matters and she is always one of the best prepared.”
Chambers & Partners, 2022
“She is very sharp and commercial but also pleasant to deal with.”; “She has everyone eating out of her hand. If there are two warring parties, Kim as arbitrator gets them to cooperate and calms everybody.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“She is very practical, good with clients, and writes extremely clearly and immediately.” “She is very well organised and very good at keeping the parties to the mark.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“An excellent new silk”
Legal 500, 2017
“Terrific with clients.”
Chambers & Partners, 2017
“A skilled advocate with a pragmatic approach.”
Legal 500, 2017
“She has a deep knowledge of construction law.”
Chambers & Partners, 2016
“A true construction expert, especially good on international cases.”
Legal 500, 2015
“She has a good , firm hand on the tiller and is very good at steering a case.” “She shows a great deal of energy and endless patience.” “She gets the job done and puts her back into it..”
Chambers & Partners, 2015
“extremely talented” with “formidable attention to detail and enormous experience.”
Chambers & Partners, 2014