Josh is regularly instructed in relation to commercial disputes across Chambers’ areas of practice, including sale of goods, services contracts, agency, bailment, debt claims, as well as claims involving breach of fiduciary duty and breach of warranty. Josh’s current and recent instructions include:
- Josh has recently undertaken a secondment with a leading commercial law firm and is assisting with a c.£300million breach of fiduciary duty claim;
- Advised on behalf of restaurant owners in respect of a potential claim relating to the termination and delays in reinstatement of their electricity supply;
- Acted for the defendant in a successful preliminary issues trial concerning the identity of the contracting parties in a construction dispute, resulting in the claim being struck out;
- Advised and settled a letter of response in a c.£7 million sale of goods dispute;
- Settling Particulars of Claim seeking the return of high-value jewellery and related declarations following its alleged conversion by a third party;
- Drafted Particulars of Claim on behalf of an executor for the return of monies to the estate, involving issues of breach of trust, undue influence and capacity;
- Acted for debt recovery agents in a successful summary judgment application dismissing a claim for breach of contract and harassment;
- Advised and settled Particulars of Additional Claim alleging breach of warranty, negligent misstatement and breach of contract in proceedings relating to the removal of timber from the claimant’s land;
- Advised and settled a Defence and Particulars of Additional Claim in c. £300,000 High Court proceedings involving contractual interpretation of a ‘disaster management’ agreement and various indemnity provisions;
- Advising on disputes relating to the Construction Plant Hire Association (CPA) terms, including issues of incorporation and exclusion / limitation clauses;
- Advising with respect to a claim for unpaid commission;
- Advising and drafting Particulars of Claim in respect of an allegedly defective car;
- Settling defences to sale of goods and services claims involving issues of contractual interpretation and reliance on various provisions of the Consumer Rights Act 2015;
- Settling a Defence to a claim concerning an alleged defective shower unit;
- Settled a Reply in a contractual dispute raising issues concerning bailment and incorporation of terms;
- Settled a Defence to a claim for alleged unpaid fees involving issues of oral variations and/or collateral agreements;
- Acted for commercial lenders in successfully resisting an application by a debtor to set aside judgment;
- Settled a Defence and advised in respect of a claim for restitution following the sale of an alleged stolen vehicle, pursuant to s.12 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979;
- Acting for clients in enforcement proceedings including applications for charging orders in the High Court.
Selected CasesView full profile »
Winner of the Times Law Awards (2016)
Winner of the Maitland Advocacy Prize (2015)
Gray’s Inn (2016): Bedingfield Scholarship.
Gray’s Inn (2015): CPE/GDL Award.
City Law School (2015): GDL Scholarship.
- An Exercise in Utility: Liquidators Adjudicating Construction Disputes
- Extensions of time and adjournment during COVID-19: Muncipio De Mariana & Ors v BHP Group Plc and BHP Group Ltd  EWHC 928 (TCC) (20 April 2020)
Bar Professional Training Course (2016-2017): City Law School
Graduate Diploma in Law (2015-2016): City Law School
MPhil, Merton College, University of Oxford (2013-2015)
BA (Hons), Merton College, University of Oxford (2010-2013), First Class