Criminal Regulatory & Environmental
Jack’s specialist practice encompasses health & safety, environmental, and motor offences. He welcomes instructions on behalf of defendants and potential defendants, and he regularly appears in the Magistrates’ and Crown Courts for both trials and sentencing hearings.
His health & safety work covers a broad range of industries and issues, and he has represented a range of corporate clients, from micro companies to very large organisations with turnovers in excess of £1 billion.
Selected cases include the following:
- He is currently being led in a multi-handed gross negligence / corporate manslaughter prosecution;
- Acting as sole counsel at sentence for a company with turnover in excess of £300 million, and obtaining a favourable fine;
- Being led in a s.47 wilful neglect Crown Court trial involving the near-fatal drowning of a vulnerable pupil at a specialist school, in which a conditional discharge was obtained;
- Being led in a prosecution of an Approved Inspector under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, in which the prosecution offered no evidence following legal submissions on the applicability of the Order; and
Jack is also developing an environmental law practice, and he has particular experience of prosecutions under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. Recent work in this area includes successfully defending Waitrose and a large national housebuilder in statutory nuisance prosecutions.
Jack’s motor offences work includes regular trials and sentencing hearings for careless driving; and he has experience of fatal offences, as well as s.170 Road Traffic Act failure to report / failure to stop offences.
Jack’s regulatory practice is complimented by his experience of inquest law, personal injury, professional negligence and clinical negligence work.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Chambers is delighted to announce that two members have been appointed to the Attorney General’s London Panel of Counsel
- Criminal Regulatory & Environmental Manchester Drinks Party
- Lincoln’s Inn Denning, Bowen & Hardwicke Scholarships
- BPTC, City Law School
- GDL, City University
- BA Hons (Oxon)