Property damage is one of Julian’s core specialties. He is regularly instructed by leading firms acting on behalf of property or liability insurers in relation to substantial high value property damage claims following fires, floods, explosions, etc. Often these claims arise in the context of construction work and he is experienced in considering contractual obligations under JCT and other standard form building contracts. Julian has been retained in high profile property damage cases such as Grenfell Tower and Buncefield.
Adept at dealing with complex technical issues Julian was, for example, primarily responsible for Total’s case on its tank The recent case of Prezzo v High Point Estates in which he successfully argued for a limited application of the principle in Berni Inns has attracted significant interest.
- NMT Crane Hire v King Lifting (2019) – Collapse of mobile crane at shopping centre in Reading
- Prezzo v High Point Estates  EWHC 1851 (TCC) – £2m fire claim. Scope of the application of the principle in Berni Inns.
- Grenfell Tower disaster (2017) – instructed in relation to the refurbishment works, in particular the technical issues relating to the cladding and it compliance with contract specification and Building Regulations.
- The Hon. Edward & Mrs Iliffe v Feltham Construction, Affleck Mechanical Services, Docherty ChimneyGroup, Karl Callaway  EWCH 2125 (TCC) – £4.8m fire claim arising out of fire at recently constructed luxury timber house on private island in Poole harbour.
- AJK Woodflooring v Clipfine Construction (2014) (TCC) – £2.4m fire claim arising out of fire at 21 Chesham Place during redevelopment of luxury apartments by the Candy brothers.
- Tomlinson, Tomlinson, Van Riel, Van Riel, Knight, White and White v Yorkshire Water Services Ltd, Costain Ltd and Transcore Ltd (2014) (TCC) – Landslip at Whitby, N Yorkshire destabilising terrace of properties higher up slope. Properties demolished. Multiple actions by owners claiming landslip due to Yorkshire Water’s leaking sewers.
- Crestel Partnerships Ltd v Anglian Water Services Ltd (2014) (QB) – Housing development construction site flooded by escape of water from Anglian Water’s pipework and infrastructure.
- Re City West Housing Trust – Irlam Gas Explosion (2014) (TCC) – Gas explosion in Irlam, Greater Manchester during course of renovation works to City West’s housing stock. Four houses destroyed. Claim by City West against gas contractors.
- Car Hospital Ltd v AGM Services Ltd (2014) (TCC) – Car bodyshop and accident repair centre destroyed by fire originating in paint spray booth. Claim against contractors who serviced the booth. Accident Exchange Ltd v (1) Zurich
- Insurance Plc, (2) Aviva Insurance UK Ltd, (3) AXA Insurance UK Plc (2013) (Comm Ct) – Test case by credit hire company Accident Exchange to determine proper measure of its loss when its hire vehicles are involved in accidents and as a result are unavailable to be hired out.
- JF Finnegan Ltd v (1) Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering, (2) WSP North Ltd, (3) Carnby Structures Ltd (2013) (TCC) – £7m+ claim arising out of damage to recently constructed office building at Sheffield Business Park. Claims against piling contractors, steelwork contractors and engineers.
- City of London & LS Bankside v (1) Bovis, (2) Carillion (3) Overbury, (4) Grattes, (5) Foreman Roberts, (6) Broadcrown (2012) (TCC) – £12m claim arising out of damage to prestige office block adjacent to Tate Modern caused by overflow of diesel oil from storage tank on top floor
- Colour Quest Ltd v Total Downstream UK Plc  EWHC 540;  EWHC 823 (QB) – The
- Buncefield litigation. Explosion caused by overspill from fuel storage tank.
- Tate Gallery v Duffy Construction Ltd  EWHC 361 (TCC) – Flooding at the Tate Gallery. Coinsurance and construction of contract.
- BASF v Nu-Way  (TCC) – Explosion and fire caused by catastrophic failure of gas booster. Rhodia (Albright & Wilson) v Biachem  2 All ER (Comm) 753 (House of Lords) – Explosion at chemical plant. Contract – misdelivery of goods.
View full profile »
- Prezzo v High Point Estates – the extent of the principle in Berni Inns
- Julian Field successful in recent TCC decision
- ADR Registered Mediator
- CEDR Registered Mediator
- LLB, King’s College London
- Commercial Bar Association
- London Common Law & Commercial Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Technology & Construction Bar Association
“A very safe, experienced pair of hands who is good at calming down anxious clients.”
Chambers & Partners UK Bar 2018
“He is very good at analysing the actual issues in a case and focusing on them.”
Chambers & Partners UK Bar 2018
Legal 500, 2017
“An insightful senior junior, who is as good as a silk”
Legal 500, 2016
“He misses no detail and is very to the point and focused”
Chambers and Partners UK Bar 2016
“As good as most silks, very easy to work with, very grounded and a go-to for difficult work.”
Chambers & Partners UK Bar 2015
“experienced in large property damage claims – excellent reputation”
Legal 500, 2014
“Has a fantastic reputation for handling significant property damage claims based upon tortious or contractual liability”
Chambers & Partners UK Bar 2013, 2014
“Leading Junior in the fields of Construction and Professional Negligence”
Legal 500, 2008-2014)
“Leader at the Bar in Commercial Dispute Resolution – has ‘deep-tissue insight into insurance claims”
Chambers & Partners UK Bar 2008