Criminal Regulatory & Environmental
Health & Safety
Julia regularly defends cases brought by the Health and Safety Executive and local authorities arising from fatal and other serious workplace accidents. She appears in the Crown Court and magistrates’ courts all over the country, advises in conference with clients and undertakes site visits. She has experience of cases in a wide variety of settings including work at height, construction and demolition, medical treatment, residential care, fire safety, manufacturing and technology, waste management and recycling, quarrying, work with asbestos, gas and electrical safety, schools and road traffic accidents.
Regulatory & Consumer Law
Julia has experience of a wide range of regulatory and consumer work including food safety, fire safety, consumer protection, product safety, waste disposal, product labelling, trade descriptions and advertising, trademarking and building regulations. She is also instructed in inquests in this field, for example those arising out of incidents of food poisoning and Legionnaires’ disease.
Julia represents defendants accused of road traffic offences including offences of causing death by driving. She appears in the Crown Court and magistrates’ courts and advises at all stages of the proceedings.
Health & Safety
Recent cases include the following:
- Julia was led by John Cooper QC in a case where a young electrician was electrocuted on a construction site when the electrical system he was working on was switched on without workers being informed that it was going live. The prosecution discontinued the case against the director immediately after service of a defence case statement.
- She is currently representing the site supervisor of a derelict mill which was undergoing conversion to apartments. Allegations include that an untrained low paid migrant worker fell to his death from the roof due to a complete lack of edge protection and other safety precautions. Profit before safety is alleged.
- Represented the owners of a farm where a farm worker carrying out repairs fell through a fragile barn roof. Precautions to ensure his safety had not been undertaken.
- Represented a company which manufactured fuel tanks for the aviation industry. A worker suffered paralysis due to significant burns suffered when he cleaned the inside of a fuel tank with flammable cleaning fluid which ignited due to the presence of a halogen lamp.
- Represented the director of a plastic recycling plant where a worker suffered serious facial injuries including numerous jaw fractures from a plastic pipe being ejected while being cut using a band saw.
- Represented a company prosecuted for exposing a worker to reactive dyes at a factory where silk was dyed and woven. The worker suffer work-induced asthma. There was a failure to provide proper ventilation facilities and conduct regular lung function tests.
- Represented a national printing company where an employee removed a guard on a printing press and suffered hand injuries when the rag he was holding was drawn into the rollers.
- Represented a company prosecuted for exposing workers to excessive noise causing noise-induced hearing loss. There was a failure to undertake regular hearing function tests.
- Represented a company which was prosecuted for failing to provide edge protection or conduct an assessment of the risks involved when lifting floor boards above a large underground void. An employee suffered spinal injuries when he fell head first into the hole.
- Represented a large London-based engineering company prosecuted for the widespread failure to provide edge protection and other breaches on a complex construction site where scaffolding was being continuously moved throughout works.
Regulatory & Consumer Law
- Ensured the acquittal at trial of the director of a large cash and carry store charged with 37 different counts relating to offering for sale inadequately labelled tobacco products.
- Represented a company accused of numerous breaches of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 at its dye factory.
- Represented a company which instructed a subcontractor to remove asbestos from a block of flats without ensuring the sub-contractor held the necessary licence.
- Represented the owner of a pharmacy who was prosecuted for repeatedly failing to dispose of waste in the required manner.
- Represented a pay day loan provider was charged with using aggressive sales practices, inadequate consideration of affordability of loans and intimidating techniques for ensuring repayment. Many of the victims were considered to be vulnerable.
- Represented a restaurant that failed to follow food hygiene regulations and caused a significant outbreak of food poisoning.
- Representing a company appointed to undertake cleaning and temperature checks to avoid Legionella bacteria multiplying at a spa. A lady died after developing Legionnaires’ disease.
- Harmsworth Entrance Exhibitioner, Middle Temple
- Queen Mother Scholar, Middle Temple
- CPE (City)
- BA (Oxon)
Health and Safety Lawyers Association (HSLA)
“She stands her corner and clients really like her.”; “Very respectable and hard-working.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“Brilliant on her feet, really capable and fantastic in the courtroom; she gets a really good handle on cases and knows how to pitch them.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“Excellent with clients, has a good manner in court and is on top of all the instructions.”
Chambers & Partners, 2018