Insurance & Reinsurance
Frederick has extensive experience of advising on coverage and compliance with policy terms in a variety of disputes. In particular he has a close familiarity with coverage issues arising from the Covid-19 pandemic having recently spent some months on secondment to a leading solicitors’ firm dealing exclusively with such issues. He is familiar with the nuances of various brokers’ and insurers’ wordings and the wider factors which need to be taken into account, together with the primary and secondary legislation underpinning the national and international response to Covid-19. Having advised whilst on secondment has given him a unique exposure to the breadth of opinion which exists in certain areas.
More broadly the majority of Frederick’s practice involves insurance in some form or another and he frequently acts for insurers as claimant in subrogated recoveries and as defendant in claims against both the insured and the insurer directly.
- Advising (on secondment) on the proper construction of a variety of insurers’ and brokers’ property damage and business interruption wordings and the extent of cover for Covid-19 related losses, both in the abstract and in relation to particular claims.
- Advising (on secondment) on the extent to which the Government’s business support measures could be taken into account when calculating business interruption losses.
- Advising (on secondment) on questions of privilege between insurer and insured.
- Representing (on appeal) the insurer in their successful application for summary judgment, on limitation grounds, of the insured’s claim for an indemnity.
- Advising and drafting pleadings in relation to disputed travel insurance claims.
- Advising (in pupillage) on coverage in relation to public liability cover, the proper presentation of the insured risk and compliance with policy terms.
- Carlo Taczalski and Frederick Simpson are successful in the Court of Appeal Cross-undertakings have little place in the security for costs regime – Case note
- Covid-19: Business Interruption insurance, an FCA class action, and the long-tail risks to insurance brokers
- Carlo Taczalski and Frederick Simpson are successful in the Court of Appeal as it holds that cross-undertakings have little place in the security for costs regime
- Kim Franklin QC and Frederick Simpson participated in “International Arbitration: Virtual Hearing Workshop”
- BPTC (University of Law)
- GDL (University of Law)
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- Debating Shield, Lincoln’s Inn
- Lord Brougham Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- ‘Best Junior Officer’ Sword, Irish Guards
- Royal Military Academy Sandhurst – Commissioning Course
- MA Philosophy (Cantab)
- Academic Scholar, Christ’s College Cambridge