Anna is instructed regularly by insurers in relation to property damage claims, and she has particular experience in relation to fire and flood claims. She is co-author of Construction Insurance and UK Construction Contracts with Roger ter Haar QC and Marshall Levine, the 3rd Edition.
Examples of recent work include:
- Acting for an insurer in relation to a claim arising out of a fire, where policy issues concerning the insured’s intent as regards redevelopment of the site as at the date of the fire, where issues of fraud arise.
- Acting for insurer in relation to claim for £1.6million where water entered into an electrical cabinet which is alleged to have caused a fire approximately one week later. Arguments about discharge of duty to warn, novus actus interveniens and quantum (in particular betterment).
- Acting for insurer in relation to the successful defence of claim against service engineer whose acts / omissions were alleged to have caused fire. Led by Andrew Bartlett QC.
- Acting for insurer in relation to fire at a converted mill complex, which devastated entire building within hours of propagation. Claim in excess of £8million. Allegations of professional negligence against architect in relation to design (engineered fire solution, and detailing) and against architect and employer’s agent in relation to supervision of works (settled at mediation).
- Acting for insurer in relation to claim for £8million arising out of a fire at a hotel refurbishment that was nearing completion.
- Acting for insurer in relation to claim for £600,000 where damage alleged to have been caused by the negligent design, manufacture and fitting of gas fires in a private London property. Arguments about causation and foreseeability of loss.
- Acting for insurer in relation to flooding of a hotel due to the failure of a push-fit plumbing fitting which resulted in losses in excess of £500,000.
- Amsprop Ltd v ITW Ltd  EWHC 2689 (TCC) – Concerned proof of cause of fire at Hard Rock Café, where competing causes alleged.
- Landfast (Anglia) Ltd v Cameron Taylor One Ltd  EWHC 343 (TCC); 117 Con LR 53 – Concerns recoverability of damages where loss suffered by assignee rather than assignor.
- Anna Laney and Daniel Shaw to lecture at the Department of Engineering at the University of Cambridge
- Crown Office Chambers ranked in Chambers Global 2018 for Construction and Energy & Natural Resources
- Anna Laney to speak at the Young Bar Annual Workshop – The 21st Century Advocate
- Easy Money? Adjudication & Recovery of Party Costs
- Anna Laney writes article for ICES Construction Law Review 2014 entitled ‘Adjudication: Quick & Filthy’
- Adjudication: a Pioneering decision – by Anna Laney October 2013
“Enthusiastic, hard-working and a tremendous team player. She rolls up her sleeves and gets involved. She’s a very effective advocate…Proactive, commercial, clever and resourceful.”
Chambers & Partners UK Bar
“A fabulous lawyer, who is great with clients and very responsive…Great at cutting out the waffle and putting matters in the right order to achieve results in hopeless cases.”
Legal 500, 2017
“She’s quick to identify the commercial issues”; “as well as being a robust advocate she often finds the small point of detail which turns the case.”
Chambers UK 2016
“Her swift focus is unsettling for opponents and commands confidence in her submissions”; “she tailors her approach to the specific case with a view to achieve the best outcome for the client.”
Legal 500 2016
“She is a team player who is robust and decisive and who provides very clear in advice.”
Chambers UK 2015
“Expert across a range of fields, from ground works to engineering”; “a very good communicator who gives clear and straightforward legal advice.”
Legal 500 2015
“Tremendously enthusiastic, she is an energetic, hard-working and effective advocate.”
Chambers UK 2014
“Sharp, authoritative and robust on her feet”; “a tremendous asset”; “a popular choice for construction related arbitrations.”
Legal 500 2014
“An absolutely excellent senior junior. She is always on top of things, has very good tactical sense, and if you see her name on the pleadings you know you’re in for a fight.”
"An absolutely excellent senior junior. She is always on top of things, has very good tactical sense, and if you see her name on the pleadings you know you're in for a fight." Chambers & Partners 2013
“A tremendous asset to any team”; “totally dedicated, utterly dependable, and someone in whom faith can safely be placed.”
Chambers & Partners 2012
“Sources were quick to highlight commerciality as a key attribute…a diligent and proactive senior junior who relates well to lay clients and has a great rapport with judges.”
Chambers & Partners 2011
“Excellent…well respected…no praise is high enough”
Legal 500 2011