Insurance & Reinsurance
Mariusz has growing experience of insurance and reinsurance disputes and has benefitted from a period of secondment to the insurance team at a leading law firm. Mariusz is well-positioned to advise on a range of coverage issues, including policy construction, compliance with claims conditions, and avoidance.
More generally much of Mariusz’s work involves insurers, including subrogated recoveries and defending liability claims both against the insurer and the insured. He also has experience of professional negligence claims against insurance brokers.
Examples of Mariusz’s work include:
- Advising on coverage issues in claims concerning loss of rent arising out of the Covid-19 pandemic (on secondment).
- Advising on issues of material non-disclosure, late notification, double insurance, and construction of a public liability policy following a claim arising in connection with construction works (on secondment).
- Advising on the prospects of raising a Berni Inns defence to a claim brought following an escape of water at a property (on secondment).
- Drafting the Defence to a claim against an insurance broker alleging a failure to effect insurance to cover the Claimant’s needs.
- Successfully defending a claim brought by a litigant in person who claimed that the insurer had wrongfully retained her vehicle and sold it as scrap, having agreed and been paid a total loss valuation for the vehicle.
- Drafting the Defence to a claim under a commercial combined policy following fire damage to business premises, involving issues concerning the duty of fair presentation (as a pupil).
- Advising on the recovery of repatriation costs under a travel insurance policy (as a pupil).
- Drafting Points of Claim in an arbitration concerning breach of a binding authority agreement covering marine business (as a pupil).
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2018)
- BPTC Advocacy Scholarship, BPP University (2018)
- BPTC (Very Competent), BPP Law School
- LLM Commercial Law (Distinction), London School of Economics and Political Science
- BA (Hons) Law (2.1), University of Cambridge, Downing College