Insurance & Reinsurance
Mariusz gained experience of insurance and reinsurance matters across a variety of sectors during pupillage, including issues concerning avoidance, coverage and compliance with terms.
Much of Mariusz’s work more generally involves insurers, including subrogated recoveries and representing the defendant in claims brought both against the insurer directly and the insured.
Examples of Mariusz’s work include:
- Successfully defending a claim brought by a litigant in person who claimed that the insurer had wrongfully retained her vehicle and sold it as scrap, having agreed and been paid a total loss valuation for the vehicle.
- Drafting the Defence to a claim under a commercial combined policy following fire damage to business premises, involving issues concerning the duty of fair presentation (as a pupil).
- Advising on the recovery of repatriation costs under a travel insurance policy (as a pupil).
- Drafting Points of Claim in an arbitration following breach of a binding authority agreement covering marine business (as a pupil).
- Assisting Jason Evans-Tovey on the liability in restitution of insurance intermediaries as part of a broader claim concerning the duties of such entities to remit funds collected from reinsurers to syndicates. The claims in restitution failed because the intermediaries had not received the sums or been enriched “at the expense of” the syndicates (Equitas Ltd v Sande Investments Ltd  EWHC 631 (Comm)) (as a pupil).
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2018)
- BPTC Advocacy Scholarship, BPP University (2018)
- BPTC (Very Competent), BPP Law School
- LLM Commercial Law (Distinction), London School of Economics and Political Science
- BA (Hons) Law (2.1), University of Cambridge, Downing College