Complementing his insurance, construction and general commercial practice Frederick is familiar with the particular demands of international arbitration and the enforcement of awards. In early 2022 Frederick undertook a secondment to a boutique commercial litigation firm in Lahore, Pakistan where he worked on the local enforcement of foreign judgments and international arbitral awards.
- Advising (on secondment) on the enforcement in Lahore of an anti-suit injunction and associated costs order, given by the High Court in London. Value £80,000.
- Advising (on secondment) on the enforcement in Lahore of an arbitral award given in London, including issues of English and Pakistani law and questions of public policy. The dispute related to breach of a contract for the supply of chemicals. Value £600,000.
- Advising (on secondment) on a challenge to the appointment of a contractually-nominated arbitrator on grounds of apparent bias, including consideration of the applicable law(s). The dispute related to the termination of a public-sector service contract. Value PKR 600 million (£2.4 million).
- Advising (on secondment) on the enforcement in Lahore of an arbitral award given in Seoul under the rules of the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board. The dispute related to unpaid IP licence fees. Value USD 1.85 million.
- Crown Office Chambers features in The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases of this year
- Carlo Taczalski and Frederick Simpson are successful in the Court of Appeal as it holds that cross-undertakings have little place in the security for costs regime
- Carlo Taczalski and Frederick Simpson are successful in the Court of Appeal Cross-undertakings have little place in the security for costs regime
- Covid-19: Business Interruption insurance, an FCA class action, and the long-tail risks to insurance brokers
- MA Philosophy (Cantab)
- GDL, BPTC (University of Law)
- Academic Scholar, Christ’s College Cambridge
- ‘Best Junior Officer’ Sword, Irish Guards
- Lord Brougham Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
- Debating Shield, Lincoln’s Inn
- Lord Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn