Insurance & Reinsurance
Andrew specialises in, and has wide experience of, very substantial claims relating to CAR/EAR policies (including DE and LEG clauses), property risks, BI claims, PL and EL policies and product liability policies, including coverage disputes, fraud, non-disclosure, misrepresentation, moral hazard and co-insurance issues. He acted: for Zurich in the FCA Test Case; for Insurers in the leading case on the effect of non-compliance with a notification provision in a liability policy which is not expressed to be a condition precedent; and for Insurers in the leading recent case on the meaning of “damage”, the scope and duration of cover, and the effect of DE3 in a CAR policy.
Listed as a Leading Silk in Chambers UK (2024) and Legal 500 (2024)
- Acting for Zurich in the leading Supreme Court case (the FCA Test Case) on BI cover in the context of claims arising out COVID-19 – see Financial Conduct Authority v MS Amlin et al  AC 649.
- Acting for Insurers in a £200 million claim under a CAR policy in respect of alleged damage to the roof of Sky’s global headquarters – see Sky & Mace v Riverstone  EWHC 1207 (Comm). It is the leading recent case on the meaning of “damage”, the scope and duration of cover, and the effect of DE3 in a CAR policy.
- Acting for London Market PL Insurers in connection with a $1 billion risk arising out of the collapse of a tunnel in Germany.
- Acting for reinsurers in a $multi-million ICC arbitration arising out of bonds issued in connection with the construction of a government facility in the Middle East. Local law and local seat.
- Acting for Insurers in connection with a $150 million overage dispute (including issues as to the application of DE3/LEG2 clauses) under an EAR policy in relation to the construction of a major international airport in the Middle East. Local law and local seat.
- Acting for Insurers in connection with $50 million claim under an EAR policy relating to the catastrophic failure of a gas turbine at a power station in the Indian sub-continent, including issues as to extended maintenance cover and the application of DE3/LEG2 clauses.
- Acting for Insurers in connection with coverage disputes under PL policies amounting to £200 million relating to alleged defects in a number of residential buildings.
- Acting for Insurers in relation to £50 million coverage dispute arising out of the construction of a major leisure development.
- Acting for the policyholder in a £50 million coverage dispute under a PI policy relating to the design of a major London landmark project.
- Acting for Insurers in relation to a £150 million coverage dispute under a PL policy arising out of the collapse of a tunnel.
- Acting for Insurers in relation to a £75 million dispute concerning coverage under a CAR policy arising out of the construction of a motorway in the UK.
- Acting for Insurers in relation to a claim for $several hundred million relating to a claim under a Product Liability policy arising out of a major product recall.
- Shortlisted at The Legal 500 Middle East and North Africa Awards 2024
- Sky & Mace v Riverstone Managing Agency & Ors  EWHC 1207 (Comm)
- 1986-1989: Christ’s College, University of Cambridge (MA, English Tripos).
- 1998-1990: Japan Exchange and Teach (“JET”) Programme: British Government/Japanese Government programme teaching English near Tokyo.
- 1990-1991: The City University (Diploma in Law – with Distinction).
- 1991-1992: Gray’s Inn: Uthwatt Scholar, Moots Award.
- 1993: Gray’s Inn United States Moots Tour.
- LCIA, COMBAR, TECBAR, SCL, SCL (Gulf), LCLCBA, PNBA
“He’s actually one of the cleverest barristers I know and work with, combined with a genuine charm. He has an encyclopaedic brain.”…. “Andrew Rigney is simply second to none. His advocacy is brilliant, and his ability to distil complex issues into clear and concise advice and advocacy is very impressive.” … “He has fantastic knowledge and commercial understanding with excellent client skills.”
Chambers & Partners, 2024
“Andrew Rigney is my first choice of counsel on any case. He is absolutely brilliant – hard-working, easy to work with and astonishingly able.” … “He really nails cross-examination and his success rate is incredibly high.” … “He’s a solicitor’s dream, frankly. He’s responsive, brilliant and enormously effective.”
Chambers & Partners, 2024
‘Andrew’s intellectual strength goes without saying. But in addition, Andrew is a superb advocate with his quiet understated style belying a razor-sharp cross-examiner. He has turned a judge 180 degrees to his way of thinking on a number of occasions with persuasive but straightforward and very well-constructed arguments. Lastly, he is without any doubt the most client and solicitor-friendly KC at the construction Bar.’
Legal 500, 2024
‘Exceptional advocacy which is very clear, concise and persuasive. Very nice manner and easy to work with, reliable and available.’ … “Very hard working and not afraid to roll up his sleeves. He is excellent with clients and provides practical and commercial advice, always having the client’s objectives in mind. Really at the top of his game.”
Legal 500, 2024
‘Andrew’s contributions to the team are always invaluable – impressive intelligence and exceptional oral advocacy skills. His ability to present complex legal arguments in a clear and concise manner is truly impressive. His willingness to go above and beyond to ensure a positive outcome does not go unnoticed. User-friendly, sharp and creative, Andrew sees things that others don’t, and his work ethic is second to none.’
Legal 500, 2024
“Andrew is extremely bright, exceptionally hardworking, incredibly charming and an absolute pleasure to work with. He has a rare quality of being very charming in his dealings with the tribunal so as to command respect at all times, yet at the same time conducting cross-examination robustly and aggressively as required… His work is meticulous, considered and precise, and solicitors and lay clients really value what he has to say… Andrew is detail oriented and an excellent communicator. He is also charming; the sort of silk who you want to introduce to clients as you know they will warm to him…Happy to roll his sleeves up, he is extremely bright and grasps the technical detail of energy disputes incredibly quickly, and his advocacy is impressive…Great to work with and meticulous in his analysis. Andrew becomes a real team member and there are no airs and graces.”
Legal 500, 2023
“.. eminent silk…sought after by clients around the globe…a brilliant mind with a great eye for detail. A delight to work with…fiercely intelligent, can recite case law in his sleep…an exceptional and superb advocate…very impressive when cross-examining expert witnesses … absolutely at the top of his field… incredibly responsive and very on top of the detail… a true gentlemen – very hard-working and charming while also being a very effective cross-examiner…”
Chambers & Partners, 2023
“Exceptionally intelligent, extremely hard-working, impeccably mannered, a brilliant advocate, a wise strategist, and a thoroughly decent human being…”… “Extremely personable, focused and brilliant, supportive and thoughtful of instructing counsel, a pleasure to work with.”… “Attentive, thoughtful, commercially-minded, intelligent and very easy to work with, he commands great respect from his peers.”
Legal 500, 2022
“an eminent” and “go-to” silk with an “unbelievable interest in the detail of a case”. “He is phenomenal…exceptional team player..” “ Andrew is fantastic….very experienced advocate….pleasure to work with” “… an exemplary QC with.. incredible legal skills and commercial acumen” “…an incredibly effective advocate” and “fantastically user-friendly”
Chambers & Partners, 2022
“Tremendous: enthusiastic, hardworking, smooth with clients and imbued with a calm authority.”
Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
“…extremely thorough and clever…a ruthless cross-examiner… phenomenally good with clients… gives them comfort and confidence…an absolute pleasure to work with, extremely accommodating and willing to go the extra mile…very impressive, calm and intellectual… respected lawyer who is well liked by judges…his standout strength is his technical ability and his breadth of knowledge across insurance, construction and arbitration issues… a superb command of the subject matter of any case…”
Chambers & Partners, 2021