William undertakes all aspects of personal injury work and is frequently instructed against Queen’s Counsel both at trials and in settlement meetings. His current caseload includes catastrophic injury, traumatic brain injury, amputations, tetraplegia, fibromyalgia/somatoform pain disorder and fatal accidents as well as more general injury work. He is on the Counsel panel to major insurers and can provide advice on coverage.
He has expertise in dealing with fibromyalgia/ chronic pain/ somatoform pain disorder and in dealing with issues of dishonesty, causation and acceleration, frequently against the background of an extensive medical history and complex medical evidence.
His experience enables him readily and effectively to identify the issues arising, advise clearly, and pursue the client’s position in negotiations and at trial.
- Traumatic brain injury on a building site involving the relative blameworthiness of the subcontractor, main contractor, occupiers and Claimant.
- Traumatic brain injury to person travelling on a canal barge when a lift-bridge came down as the barge passed underneath; Claimant unsuccessfully sued the hirer of the barge claiming inadequate instructions.
- Minor injury said to lead to chronic pain then excess of painkillers causing hypoxic brain injury, including issues of self-harm and negligent prescription.
- Subtle brain injury allegedly affecting Claimant’s ability to work as director in private equity firms.
- Traumatic brain injury said to have caused organic personality disorder, dysexecutive syndrome and dyscontrol.
- Fatal accident involving failed use of safety harness in a cleaning operation.
- Serious injuries following failures of car tyres, lifts, beds.
- Wrist injury caused by slip on ice said to have prevented professional golfer from extensive earnings on the European Seniors Tour.
- Traumatic amputation of dominant arm in conveyor belt accident.
- Fibromyalgia cases following road traffic accidents, involving extensive issues on causation and acceleration.
- Withdrawal of admissions of liability in cases including tripping, manual handling, occupiers’ liability, and road traffic accidents.
- Liability trials on large numbers of slipping, tripping, manual handling and road traffic accidents.
- Court rules on appropriateness of periodical payments order in asbestos case
- Costs of future treatment in mesothelioma cases
- BA (Hons) , Peterhouse College, Cambridge (Exhibitioner)
- William was a founder member of Crown Office Chambers and lives in Cardiff and London.
- London Common Law Bar Association
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Member of Lincoln’s Inn