Insurance & Reinsurance
Toby advises upon and litigates all insurance related disputes. He is frequently instructed on cases which raise a variety of cover and scope of coverage issues and in respect of subrogated recovery claims. Toby also has substantial experience in dealing with insolvent insureds. Insurance issues frequently arise across Toby’s practice and he is able to advise in respect of issues where they arise in other areas, including Construction and Engineering and Professional Negligence.
- Business interruption insurance arbitration in relation to group action claim against insurers (led by Andrew Rigney KC)
- Advised on developments in respect of Covid-19 coverage following the judgments in Stonegate Pub Company Ltd. v MS Amlin Corporate Member Ltd. and Others  EWHC 2548 (Comm), Various Eateries Trading Ltd. v Allianz Insurance Plc  EWHC 2549 (Comm) and Greggs Plc v Zurich Insurance Plc  WHC 2545 (Comm) (led by Ben Quiney KC and James Sharpe)
- Substantial cladding claim in excess of £5 million brought under the Third Parties (Rights Against Insurers) Act 2010 against insurers domiciled both within and outside the jurisdiction (led by Ivor Collett).
- Coverage issues in respect of all-risks commercial policy in respect of property damage, Cavity Wall Insulation and heart failure under a life-insurance policy.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Business Interruption Insurance: Key Points on Causation from the ‘At The Premises’ Case  EWHC 1481
- Crown Office Chambers welcomes three new tenants
- City University, BPTC, 2019, Very Competent; Lincoln’s Inn Denning Scholar (2018)
- University of Bristol, LLB, 2015-2018, First Class