Inquests & Public Inquiries
Susanne has represented the Crown and individuals in Scottish fatal accident inquiries (inquests) into sudden deaths.
She has also appeared for both prosecution and defence in many murder and culpable homicide (manslaughter) trials and is extremely comfortable dealing with pathology evidence and presenting complex cases in front of juries.
Susanne held an appointment as Counsel on the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry, prior to taking silk.
Susanne is appointed as Independent Chair of an independent inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the death of a City of Edinburgh Council employee and a wider whistleblowing and organisational culture review, 2020.
- McMillan and others (2019-ongoing) – instructed in a civil action for damages by the mother of the deceased skipper of “The Louisa” fishing vessel – awaiting Crown decision on whether to hold a Fatal Accident Inquiry (inquest)
- Convy and Stewart (2014) – Represented the families of Ms Convy and Ms Stewart, who were killed by a driver who lost consciousness at the wheel of his vehicle, who sought expenses against the Crown (2014 FAIGLA); later obtained special legal aid for and represented the families in their application to the High Court of Justiciary Appeal Court for a Bill of Criminal Letters to bring a private prosecution against the driver (Stewart v Payne 2017 J.C. 155)
- Colin Marr Fatal Accident Enquiry (2011 FAI 20; 2011 G.W.D.14-318), instructed by the Crown (with Ronnie Clancy QC). Issue – whether or not the death of Colin Marr had been caused accidentally or by a named individual.
- As a junior Counsel on the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry, Susanne was responsible for taking evidence from survivors who suffered abuse while in care in Scotland.
- Susanne Tanner QC to head Edinburgh Council whistleblowing culture inquiry
- Arbitrator appointment to all-female ODR panel for Susanne Tanner QC (Scot)
- LLB (Hons) First Class Hons, University of Edinburgh (1996)
- Dip LP, University of Edinburgh (1997)
- Lord Reid Scholarship, Faculty of Advocates (2000)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (2019)
- Diploma in Advanced Trial Skills, National Institute of Trial Advocacy, 2011
- Advocate Depute (High Court Prosecutor), Crown Office, Scotland – 2011-ongoing
- First-tier Tribunal chair (legal member) – Housing and Property Chamber (2016-)
- First-tier Tribunal chair (legal member) – Health and Education Chamber (2018-)
- Lecturer, LLM in Sexual Offending and the Law, University of Edinburgh
- Lecturer, Criminal Law, Delict (Tort) and the Law of Evidence, LLB, University of Edinburgh
- Stable Director (Head of Chambers), Ampersand Advocates, Scotland, 2019-
- Board Member, Faculty Services Limited, 2019-
- Executive Editor of Green’s Scottish Education Manual, Thomson Reuters, 2014-
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Global Ambassador for the Scottish Arbitration Centre
- Member of the Faculty of Advocates’ Dispute Resolution Service (Arbitration)
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
- Member of Women in Law Scotland
- Member of Women in the Law UK
- Member of ‘Spaces for Voices’ (a network for gender equality in law)