Health & Safety
Susanne is uniquely well placed as a result of her extensive criminal and civil experience to accept instructions in relation to all legal issues arising out of health and safety matters: advisory, civil claims, criminal cases, inquests and inquiries.
She has appeared for Crown and defence in High Court criminal jury trials in relation to murder, culpable homicide (manslaughter), and statutory offences including road traffic, drugs and firearms charges. She has appeared for the Crown in the Supreme Court in an appeal arising from a murder trial.
She is regularly instructed in complex and high value civil claims in the Court of Session Outer House (Scotland) for health and safety matters.
- Stewart v Payne 2017 J.C. 155 – represented the families of Ms Convy and Ms Stewart in their “Bill of Criminal Letters” application to the High Court of Justiciary Appeal Court to bring a private prosecution against the driver who killed them after becoming unconscious at the wheel of his vehicle and colliding with them.
- O’Neill v HM Adv 2013 S.C. (U.K.S.C.) 266 – Supreme Court. Instructed for the Crown. The court determined the date two appellants had been charged with murder, for the purpose of their right to a trial within a reasonable time under the European Convention on Human Rights 1950 art.6(1); and the compatibility with their art.6(1) right to a trial before an independent and impartial tribunal of a decision to proceed with the trial following adverse comments made by the trial judge regarding their character.
- McMillan and others v Kennedy and others; Baillie and others v Kennedy and others; Morrison and others v Kennedy and others (2019-) – instructed by the mother of the deceased skipper of the Louisa in a claim for damages arising out of the sinking of “The Louisa” fishing vessel. Complex actions involving multiple defenders and third parties.
- Thomson v Ingleton (2019- ) Senior Counsel for Pursuer in claim for damages for injuries sustained while working at height for the defender. Ongoing with proof to be fixed.
- RT v Midlothian Council (2018/19). Senior Counsel for Pursuer in claim for damages for historical sexual abuse suffered while Pursuer was a child in holiday care with the defenders. Case settled without a substantive hearing.
- HMA v Baxter, Kirton and Cameron (2017). High Court trial. Senior Counsel (Advocate Depute) for the Crown. Multiple charges including armed robbery, and Road Traffic Act offences.
- Wells v Scotia Gas and others (2015). For the Pursuer. Court of Session personal injuries action arising out an accident causing an electric shock. Common law and occupiers’ liability. Settled prior to proof.
- Cemetery client (2015). Civil health and safety advisory work (leader) for board of directors of cemetery in relation to potential liability for accidents on the premises.
- Susanne Tanner QC has been appointed as arbitrator for Motor Insurers’ Bureau cases for untraced and uninsured drivers
- Susanne Tanner QC of Crown Office Chambers appointed by SSSC as a Legally Qualified Chair
- LLB (Hons) First Class Hons, University of Edinburgh (1996)
- Dip LP, University of Edinburgh (1997)
- Lord Reid Scholarship, Faculty of Advocates (2000)
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (2019)
- Diploma in Advanced Trial Skills, National Institute of Trial Advocacy, 2011
- Advocate Depute (High Court Prosecutor), Crown Office, Scotland – 2011-ongoing
- First-tier Tribunal chair (legal member) – Housing and Property Chamber (2016-)
- First-tier Tribunal chair (legal member) – Health and Education Chamber (2018-)
- Lecturer, LLM in Sexual Offending and the Law, University of Edinburgh
- Lecturer, Criminal Law, Delict (Tort) and the Law of Evidence, LLB, University of Edinburgh
- Stable Director (Head of Chambers), Ampersand Advocates, Scotland, 2019-
- Board Member, Faculty Services Limited, 2019-
- Executive Editor of Green’s Scottish Education Manual, Thomson Reuters, 2014-
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Global Ambassador for the Scottish Arbitration Centre
- Member of the Faculty of Advocates’ Dispute Resolution Service (Arbitration)
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
- Member of Women in Law Scotland
- Member of Women in the Law UK
- Member of ‘Spaces for Voices’ (a network for gender equality in law)