Rory has a Multi Track practice and is instructed in cases involving physical injuries, psychiatric injuries, and chronic pain syndromes. He has particular experience in proceedings where fraud or dishonesty is alleged or intimated.
He deals with claims against local authorities, public providers, occupiers, and employers. Rory also has experience in advising in cases of accidents abroad and accidents in this jurisdiction involving foreign nationals.
He advises on all aspects of litigation including limitation, liability, and quantum, either at conference or in writing. His cases regularly involve the drafting of detailed schedules and counter schedules of loss. He delivers seminars on a range of topics. He has experience of working in-house and on secondment to assist with drafting statements of case.
He is instructed by major insurers on a repeat basis and also regularly carries out work for various Local Authorities. He will accept appropriate instructions on a CFA basis.
- Acting for a defendant care home provider, where assaults by service users on its staff have given rise to multiple large chronic pain claims;
- Acting for a claimant in a fatal action where a large financial services dependency upon a child was achieved in settlement;
- Acting and advising a defendant on deductibility of payments made under a personal accident insurance scheme;
- Acting for a claimant following an armed robbery in her workplace giving rise to PTSD, involving expert evidence from security consultants;
- Acting regularly for a large theme park operator in a host of EL/ PL claims brought against it;
- Acting for a claimant following an assault in prison by a fellow inmate giving rise to severe cognitive deficit;
- Advising various defendants on deployment of surveillance evidence at its implications, including FD & s.57 CJCA 2015;
- Acting and advising a young claimant where chosen career was no longer possible due to orthopaedic injuries. Case pleaded at £4M.
- Acting for a defendant following a workplace accident where o/s discontinued before CoA appeal hearing;
- Acting for a claimant in a traumatic brain injury action following a RTA;
- Acting for a military pilot with serious orthopaedic injuries following mechanical failure of ejector seat during crash landing;
- Acting for a Cypriot national unable to pursue a legal career in the UK following a RTA;
- Acting for a motor insurer where issues as to its Article 75 status arose;
- Acting for insurers following fraudulently induced road traffic accidents/ LVI claims;
- Appearing for an insurer at a CRU appeal;
- Defending claims at Trial under OLA 1957 brought against entities in the leisure/retail sector.
- Erasmus Scholar (2005)
- St John’s College Cambridge, McMahon Post-graduate law scholarship (2007, 2008)
- Middle Temple Lord Diplock Scholar (2008)
- Pegasus Scholar (Singapore) (2013)
- Modern and Medieval Languages BA (Hons) (Cantab) (2003-2007)
- La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid (2004-5)
- GDL (City University) (2007-2008)
- BVC (City University) (2008-2009)
- BVC-LLM (City University) (2010)
- MA (Cantab) (2010)
Before coming to the Bar, Rory read Modern and Medieval Languages at St. John’s College, Cambridge, and at La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid.
At Cambridge University Rory was part of the Blues squad for Rugby Union and Boxing. He has previously played rugby professionally in Spain, and has represented England Universities XV.
In 2013 Rory was seconded to the commercial department of Rajah & Tann, Singapore, as a Pegasus Scholar.