Rory has a broad practice, and is instructed in cases involving physical injuries, psychiatric injuries, chronic pain syndromes, and functional/somatoform disorders. He has particular experience in proceedings where fraud or dishonesty is alleged or intimated. His cases are typically mid-level Multi Track value and above.
Rory deals with claims against local authorities, public providers, manufacturers, occupiers, and employers. He also has a particular interest in injuries arising from or in connection with professional sport. He has experience in advising in cases of accidents abroad and accidents in this jurisdiction involving foreign nationals.
Rory advises on all aspects of litigation including limitation, liability, and quantum, either at conference or in writing. His cases regularly involve the drafting of detailed schedules and counter schedules of loss. He delivers seminars on a range of topics, and has experience of working both in-house and on secondment.
Rory has a mixed practice and acts for both claimants and defendants. He is instructed by major insurers on a repeat basis and also regularly carries out work for various Local Authorities. He will accept appropriate instructions on a CFA basis.
- Acting for a defendant care home providing services to vulnerable adults, where assaults by service users on staff have given rise to multiple large chronic pain claims;
- Acting for a claimant in a fatal accident action where a large financial services dependency upon a teenage child was achieved in settlement;
- Acting for various defendant motor insurers in TBI claims giving rise to complex claims for future losses;
- Acting for a claimant following an armed robbery in her workplace giving rise to PTSD, involving expert evidence from security consultants;
- Acting for a large defendant theme park operator in a host of EL/ PL claims across a range of sites;
- Acting for a claimant following an assault in prison by a fellow inmate giving rise to severe cognitive deficit requiring an extensive treatment regime;
- Acting for a defendant motor insurer in relation to its Article 75 status and liability to meet various claims;
- Acting and advising a young claimant where chosen career was no longer possible due to orthopaedic injuries. Case pleaded at £4M.
- Advising various defendant insurers on deployment of surveillance evidence at its implications, including FD & s.57 CJCA 2015;
- Acting for a military pilot with serious orthopaedic injuries following mechanical failure of ejector seat during crash landing;
- Acting for various foreign sporting bodies following claims arising out of negligent provision of services;
- Acting for a foreign national unable to pursue a legal career in the UK following a RTA.
- Erasmus Scholar (2005)
- St John’s College Cambridge, McMahon Post-graduate law scholarship (2007, 2008)
- Middle Temple Lord Diplock Scholar (2008)
- Pegasus Scholar (Singapore) (2013)
- Rory Holmes obtains strike out/summary judgment of workplace assault claim
- Habib Khan (Respondent) v General Pharmaceutical Council (Appellant) (Scotland)
- Modern and Medieval Languages BA (Hons) (Cantab) (2003-2007)
- La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid (2004-5)
- GDL (City University) (2007-2008)
- BVC (City University) (2008-2009)
- BVC-LLM (City University) (2010)
- MA (Cantab) (2010)
Before coming to the Bar, Rory read Modern and Medieval Languages at St. John’s College, Cambridge, and at La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid.
At Cambridge University Rory was part of the Blues squad for Rugby Union and Boxing. He has previously played rugby professionally in Spain, and has represented England Universities XV.
In 2013 Rory was seconded to the commercial department of Rajah & Tann, Singapore, as a Pegasus Scholar.