Rory has an established practice in the Coroner’s Court which dovetails with his practice in other areas.
He is frequently instructed on behalf of a variety of interested persons including families, companies, local authorities, and insurers. He has experience of a range of coronial proceedings, including Article 2 inquests and those where a jury is called.
He has experience of inquests involving complex issues across a wide range of areas such as transport, highways, medical and social care. He is often instructed at the outset of a case, where his involvement runs from the initial stages to the final hearing.
Examples of Rory’s work include:
- (2021) – Article 2 Inquest touching upon suicide of patient under care of mental health services.
- (2020) – Inquest touching upon care home death following unwitnessed fall.
- (2020) – Inquest touching upon death of patient following embolic stroke where central venous line was disconnected in unknown circumstances.
- (2020) – Inquest touching upon issues relating to pressure sore management of geriatric patient at hospital and care home.
- (2018) – Article 2 Inquest with Jury touching upon supervision within residential home of an epileptic resident with learning difficulties.
- (2018) – Inquest touching upon care home death following unwitnessed fall.
- (2017) – Inquest touching upon care home death in which various allegations of physical abuse and neglect were raised against staff.
- (2017) – Inquest touching upon care home death focusing upon allegations of failure to provide adequate nutrition and hydration.
- (2014) – Inquest touching upon death following tree fall on highway where inadequacy of local authority’s inspection regime was in issue.
- Erasmus Scholar (2005)
- St John’s College Cambridge, McMahon Post-graduate law scholarship (2007, 2008)
- Middle Temple Lord Diplock Scholar (2008)
- Pegasus Scholar (Singapore) (2013)
- Rory Holmes obtains strike out/summary judgment of workplace assault claim
- Habib Khan (Respondent) v General Pharmaceutical Council (Appellant) (Scotland)
- Modern and Medieval Languages BA (Hons) (Cantab) (2003-2007)
- La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid (2004-2005)
- GDL (City University) (2007-2008)
- BVC (City University) (2008-2009)
- BVC-LLM (City University) (2010)
- MA (Cantab) (2010)
Before coming to the Bar, Rory read Modern and Medieval Languages at St. John’s College, Cambridge, and at La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid.
He has previously played rugby professionally in Spain, and has represented England Universities XV.
In 2013 Rory was seconded to the commercial department of Rajah & Tann, Singapore, as a Pegasus Scholar, where he assisted on various commercial cases.
Spanish and French