Inquests & Public Inquiries
Rory has an established practice in the Coroner’s Court. He is frequently instructed on behalf of a variety of interested persons including families, companies, local authorities, and insurers. He has experience of a range of coronial proceedings, including Article 2 inquests and those where a jury is called. He is often instructed at the outset of a case, where his involvement runs from the initial stages to the final hearing. There is a cross-over with his civil practice.
- Representing various motor insurers following RTA fatalities;
- Representing families following alleged failures in hospital treatment;
- Representing a highway authority where adequacy of inspection regime was in issue;
- Representing a care home involving issues relating to supervision of an epileptic resident with learning difficulties;
- Representing various care homes where allegations of physical abuse and neglect were raised against the staff.
- Erasmus Scholar (2005)
- St John’s College Cambridge, McMahon Post-graduate law scholarship (2007, 2008)
- Middle Temple Lord Diplock Scholar (2008)
- Pegasus Scholar (Singapore) (2013)
- Modern and Medieval Languages BA (Hons) (Cantab) (2003-2007)
- La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid (2004-5)
- GDL (City University) (2007-2008)
- BVC (City University) (2008-2009)
- BVC-LLM (City University) (2010)
- MA (Cantab) (2010)
Before coming to the Bar, Rory read Modern and Medieval Languages at St. John’s College, Cambridge, and at La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid.
At Cambridge University Rory was part of the Blues squad for Rugby Union and Boxing. He has previously played rugby professionally in Spain, and has represented England Universities XV.
In 2013 Rory was seconded to the commercial department of Rajah & Tann, Singapore, as a Pegasus Scholar.