Rory has a broad practice and deals with a variety of work related conditions.
He has experience of matters relating to asbestos-related disease, occupational asthma, HAVS, WRULD, COSHH, and NIHL. He has a practice in abuse, workplace bullying, and stress at work claims, including where there is overlap with previous employment tribunal proceedings.
He advises on all aspects of litigation including limitation, liability, and quantum, either at conference or in writing. He appears at show cause hearings, CCMCs and at Trial. His cases regularly involve the drafting of detailed schedules and counter schedules of loss. He delivers seminars on a range of topics. He has experience of working in-house and on secondment to assist with drafting statements of case.
He is instructed by several of the major insurers on a repeat basis and also regularly carries out work for various Local Authorities.
- Acting and advising for defendant insurers in mesothelioma and asbestosis claims;
- Acting for a manufacturer faced with various occupational asthma claims involving complex issues of medical causation;
- Acting for a defendant in a stress at work claim following alleged racial harassment in the workplace which overlapped with previous employment tribunal proceedings;
- Acting for a defendant in an historic childhood abuse claim giving rise to limitation issues;
- Advising various defendants in HAVS, WRULD and COSHH claims;
- Acting for various defendants in NIHL trials on limitation, liability and causation.
- Erasmus Scholar (2005)
- St John’s College Cambridge, McMahon Post-graduate law scholarship (2007, 2008)
- Middle Temple Lord Diplock Scholar (2008)
- Pegasus Scholar (Singapore) (2013)
- Rory Holmes obtains strike out/summary judgment of workplace assault claim
- Habib Khan (Respondent) v General Pharmaceutical Council (Appellant) (Scotland)
- Modern and Medieval Languages BA (Hons) (Cantab) (2003-2007)
- La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid (2004-5)
- GDL (City University) (2007-2008)
- BVC (City University) (2008-2009)
- BVC-LLM (City University) (2010)
- MA (Cantab) (2010)
Before coming to the Bar, Rory read Modern and Medieval Languages at St. John’s College, Cambridge, and at La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid.
At Cambridge University Rory was part of the Blues squad for Rugby Union and Boxing. He has previously played rugby professionally in Spain, and has represented England Universities XV.
In 2013 Rory was seconded to the commercial department of Rajah & Tann, Singapore, as a Pegasus Scholar.