Rory has a broad practice and deals with a variety of work related conditions.
He has experience of matters relating to asbestos-related disease, occupational asthma, HAVS, WRULD, COSHH, and NIHL. He has a practice in abuse, workplace bullying, and stress at work claims, including where there is overlap with previous employment tribunal proceedings.
He advises on all aspects of litigation including limitation, liability, and quantum, either at conference or in writing. He appears at show cause hearings, CCMCs and at Trial. His cases regularly involve the drafting of detailed schedules and counter schedules of loss. He delivers seminars on a range of topics. He has experience of working in-house and on secondment to assist with drafting statements of case.
He is instructed by several of the major insurers on a repeat basis and also regularly carries out work for various Local Authorities.
Examples of Rory’s work include:
- S v C (2020) – Acting for a Defendant at a show cause hearing in respect of allegations of asbestos exposure against a non-employee.
- T v O (2020) – Acting for a manufacturer faced with various occupational asthma claims which involved complex issues of medical causation.
- D v N & N (2020) – Acting for a Local Authority in respect of allegations of asbestos exposure whilst non-employees worked at housing estates.
- H v DA (2019) – Acting for a manufacturer whose processes allegedly gave rise to occupational asthma.
- L v S2 & F & T (2019) & others – Acting for a defendant in a NIHL claim.
- F v S& P (2018) – Acting for co-Defendants in a HAVS claim.
- B v RNT (2017) – Acting for a defendant in a stress at work claim following alleged racial harassment in the workplace, which overlapped with previous employment tribunal proceedings.
- Erasmus Scholar (2005)
- St John’s College Cambridge, McMahon Post-graduate law scholarship (2007, 2008)
- Middle Temple Lord Diplock Scholar (2008)
- Pegasus Scholar (Singapore) (2013)
- Rory Holmes obtains strike out/summary judgment of workplace assault claim
- Habib Khan (Respondent) v General Pharmaceutical Council (Appellant) (Scotland)
- Modern and Medieval Languages BA (Hons) (Cantab) (2003-2007)
- La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid (2004-2005)
- GDL (City University) (2007-2008)
- BVC (City University) (2008-2009)
- BVC-LLM (City University) (2010)
- MA (Cantab) (2010)
Before coming to the Bar, Rory read Modern and Medieval Languages at St. John’s College, Cambridge, and at La Universidad de Complutense, Madrid.
He has previously played rugby professionally in Spain, and has represented England Universities XV.
In 2013 Rory was seconded to the commercial department of Rajah & Tann, Singapore, as a Pegasus Scholar, where he assisted on various commercial cases.
Spanish and French