Richard has a strong and established practice in the field of property damage and general commercial litigation. Richard’s practice has a particular focus on recovery actions arising out of defective construction or engineering works, particularly fire-related claims involving technical expert evidence.
- Acted for contractors in property damage dispute following damage caused by a £10m basement excavation in Chelsea (TCC) (settled).
- Acted (led by Andrew Rigney QC) in a substantial claim (exceeding £10m) following a major fire in a west London hospital.
- Acted for main contractors in a claim brought by sub-contractors following the overturning of a piling rig on a building site.
- Acting for building contractors in a c.£400,000 claim following a fire at a listed residential property, involving allegations of negligent construction work and / or breach of contract. Acted for defendant in dispute arising out of damage caused to property as a result of building works, and effect of Party Wall Act.
- Balls Pond Securities Ltd v Express Water Tank & Mechanical Services Ltd  EWHC 181 (TCC) – Acted for successful defendants in TCC claim arising out of a fire in a block of flats.
- Hicks v Coal Authority  UKUT 388 (LC) – Acted for claimants in compensation claim against the Coal Authority following subsidence damage caused by long-wall mining in the vicinity.
- Milton Keynes Borough Council v Nulty & NIG  EWCA Civ 15;  1 WLR 1183;  BLR 134;  Lloyd’s Rep. I.R. 243 – Acted (led bv Andrew Rigney QC) in a claim arising out of a substantial fire at a recycling centre in Milton Keynes. Appeared for the successful respondent on appeal on issues of causation.
- Arbitration Club Phillip Ranner Prize
- Kings College Construction Law Association Prize
- Lord Mansfield Scholar (BVC), Lincoln’s Inn
- Lord Haldane Scholar (CPE), Lincoln’s Inn
- Success in Metal-on-Metal hip group litigation
- Court of Appeal upholds insurers’ breach of warranty argument in residential let home insurance policy
- BA History (First Class), Oxford University
- CPE (Distinction), City University
- BVC (Very Competent), BPP University
- MSc Construction Law & Dispute Resolution (Distinction)
- Technology and Construction Court Bar Association (TECBAR)
- Society of Construction Law
- Adjudication Society
- Young International Arbitration Group
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association (LCLCBA)