Richard has a well-established practice in the field of professional negligence, particularly in cases involving construction (architects, engineers, and surveyors) and insurance.
- Acted (led by David Sears QC) for M&E contractors in a substantial dispute arising out of the construction of a college.
- Acted in professional negligence claim against actuaries who had advised in matrimonial proceedings.
- Acted for solicitors in professional negligence claim arising out of failed litigation.
- Acted for property developers in a claim against civil engineers arising out of failure to detect presence of asbestos during a ground survey.
- Acted in several claims against LPA receivers and claims of sales of property at an undervalue.
- Acting for residential purchasers in a claims against conveyancing solicitors arising out of failure to obtain deposit protection insurance under NHBC.
- Acting for firm of architects in professional negligence claim in dispute over assessment of final account and allegations of failure properly to administer the contract.
- Acting for owners of a warehouse in a claim against design and build contractors arising out of defects in the design and construction of the roof.
- Acting for property owners in a claim against architects / project managers arising from a failure to carry out an effective restoration of a water damaged building
- Acting for firm of architects in claim involving allegations of negligent over-valuation of contractors’ applications for payment.
- Acting for sub-contractors in c.£4m dispute involving allegations of defective piling / ground improvement leading to the settlement of a leisure centre.
- Acting for Northern Rock in claim against solicitors firm, arising out of negligence in residential conveyancing.
- Acting for building contractors in a c.£400,000 claim following a fire at a listed residential property, involving allegations of negligent construction work and / or breach of contract.
- Acted in professional negligence claim against solicitors firm following negligent conduct of divorce proceedings resulting in dispersal of matrimonial assets.
- Liberty Syndicate Management Ltd v Campagna Ltd  EWHC 209 (TCC); (2011) 27 Const LJ 275;  All ER (D) 62 – Acted as a junior counsel in a three-week multi-million pound professional negligence claim against technical auditors under a latent defects policy.
- Arbitration Club Phillip Ranner Prize
- Kings College Construction Law Association Prize
- Lord Mansfield Scholar (BVC), Lincoln’s Inn
- Lord Haldane Scholar (CPE), Lincoln’s Inn
- Success in Metal-on-Metal hip group litigation
- Court of Appeal upholds insurers’ breach of warranty argument in residential let home insurance policy
- BA History (First Class), Oxford University
- CPE (Distinction), City University
- BVC (Very Competent), BPP University
- MSc Construction Law & Dispute Resolution (Distinction)
- Technology and Construction Court Bar Association (TECBAR)
- Society of Construction Law
- Adjudication Society
- Young International Arbitration Group
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association (LCLCBA)
“He is exceptional and very highly regarded.”
Legal 500 2020
“He is sharp and focused and has an unassuming brilliance.”
Legal 500 2020
“He is very collaborative in his approach.”
Legal 500 2020
“Extremely sensible and a really good, safe pair of hands.”
Chambers UK Bar 2020