Richard has a well-established practice in the field of product liability, and has extensive experience acting for defendants and claimants in claims involving a range of products from medical devices to products used in domestic and commercial properties, as well as the construction and agricultural sectors. He is currently acting as junior counsel for the defendants (led by Michael Spencer QC and Alex Antelme QC, with David Myhill) in a substantial action brought against the manufacturers of metal-on-metal hips.
- Acting (led by Michael Spencer QC and Alex Antelme QC) in the metal-on-metal hips litigation (4 month QBD trial starting October 2017).
- Acting (led by Alexander Antelme QC) the manufacturer in the claims concerning the ASR metal-on-metal hip implant (ongoing).
- Acted in for claimants in a product liability action (c.£500,000) arising out of claims for defective hair treatment products.
- Acting for a major retailer in a TCC claim arising out of a fire in commercial property, allegedly caused by defects in a fridge.
- Acting for supplier of taps and other bathroom fittings, in substantial claim arising out of escape of water in a higher education college.
- Acting on behalf of residents of a block of flats in litigation arising out of a flood caused by defects in a domestic boiler (TCC).
- Acting for supplier of commercial milking machines alleged to have caused increased levels of mastitis in dairy herds (QBD).
- Acted for designer of parts of go-karts which led to serious fire in go-karting facility near Tower Bridge (TCC).
- Arbitration Club Phillip Ranner Prize
- Kings College Construction Law Association Prize
- Lord Mansfield Scholar (BVC), Lincoln’s Inn
- Lord Haldane Scholar (CPE), Lincoln’s Inn
- Success in Metal-on-Metal hip group litigation
- Court of Appeal upholds insurers’ breach of warranty argument in residential let home insurance policy
- BA History (First Class), Oxford University
- CPE (Distinction), City University
- BVC (Very Competent), BPP University
- MSc Construction Law & Dispute Resolution (Distinction)
- Technology and Construction Court Bar Association (TECBAR)
- Society of Construction Law
- Adjudication Society
- Young International Arbitration Group
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association (LCLCBA)