Richard has an established practice in the field of costs law, and regularly appears at the Senior Court Costs Office. Richard acts principally on behalf of paying parties. Richard has considerable experience in attending detailed assessment hearings.
- Flatman v Germany; Weddall v Barchester  EWCA Civ 278 – Richard appeared (as junior counsel) for the successful Defendants in the leading Court of Appeal case on disclosure of funding arrangements and non-party costs orders against solicitors acting on a CFA.
- Varsha Popat v Edwin Coe LLP  EWHC 4524 (Ch) – Richard is regularly instructed on cases involving disputes over CFAs, the validity and effect of Part 36 offers, and breach of the indemnity principle.
- Mitchell & Denton v TH White Ltd & Another – Richard has experience dealing with applications for relief from sanctions arising out of the failure to file costs budgets.
- Arbitration Club Phillip Ranner Prize
- Kings College Construction Law Association Prize
- Lord Mansfield Scholar (BVC), Lincoln’s Inn
- Lord Haldane Scholar (CPE), Lincoln’s Inn
- Success in Metal-on-Metal hip group litigation
- Court of Appeal upholds insurers’ breach of warranty argument in residential let home insurance policy
- BA History (First Class), Oxford University
- CPE (Distinction), City University
- BVC (Very Competent), BPP University
- MSc Construction Law & Dispute Resolution (Distinction)
- Technology and Construction Court Bar Association (TECBAR)
- Society of Construction Law
- Adjudication Society
- Young International Arbitration Group
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association (LCLCBA)