Paul Dean areas of practice are: clinical negligence, personal injuries, aviation and travel law and commercial / common law claims.
He has experience of mediation and other forms of ADR.
Paul advises and acts for both Claimants, under CFAs if appropriate, and Defendants in a variety of claims. His practice includes:
- Cerebral palsy.
- Obstetric claims.
- Gynaecology claims.
- Oncology claims.
- Anaesthetic and anaesthetic awareness claims.
- Orthopaedic and neurosurgical claims.
- Fatal accident claims.
- Bailey v Ministry of Defence  EWCA Civ 883,  1 WLR 1052 (CA) – One of the leading recent decisions of the Court of Appeal on causation in a clinical negligence context.
Paul acts for both Claimants and Defendants in a range of claims, including:
- Commercial Disputes.
- Contractual Disputes.
- Professional Negligence.
Paul advises and acts for both Claimants, under CFAs if appropriate, and Defendants in a wide range of claims. His regular work includes:
- Head injuries.
- Tetraplegic / paraplegic claims.
- Amputee claims.
- Road traffic accidents.
- Mass disasters.
- Air crashes.
- Industrial accidents.
- Employer’s liability claims.
- Fatal accident claims.
- SG v Hewitt  EWCA Civ 1053 (Court of Appeal);  5 Costs L.R. 937 – Head injury to child passenger in rear seat of car hit by bale of straw shed by passing trailer – early substantial pre-action Pt.36 offer while case still being investigated – impossible to accept because of uncertainty of prognosis through adolescence – delayed acceptance – costs consequences – important Court of Appeal guidance.
- Huntley (Hopkins) v Simmonds  EWHC 406 – High value head injury claim.
- Linda Wolfe v Robert Pavi del’ Innocenti  EWHC 2694 (QB) – Assessment of dependency of a wife in a Fatal Accidents Act claim who takes over and runs the deceased’s business.
- Slater v Buckinghamshire County Council & Stigwood  EWCA 1478 &  EWHC 77 (QB) – Duty and standard of care applicable to the operation of a service for the transport of disabled persons – scope of Road Traffic Act insurance cover.
- Inns of Court School of Law (1980 – 1982)
- Diploma in Law, City University (1980 – 1981)
- BA Literae Humaniores (Classics) Great Class I, Universaity College, Oxford (1976 – 1980)
- Employment Law Bar Association
- London Commercial & Common Law Bar Association
- Personal Injury Bar Association
“He is very pragmatic and sensible.”
Legal 500, 2017
“Creative with arguments and new lines of developing case law”
Legal 500, 2016
“In a small group of go-to counsel for difficult liability and causation cases” and “He works hard for his clients and has great attention to detail”
Legal 500, 2015
“He always gets to the bottom of vast amounts of complicated medical evidence” and “He has the knack of getting right to the heart of an issue”
Legal 500, 2014