Patrick is frequently instructed in claims arising from damage to property. He has extensive experience of claims where damage has been caused by floods, fires, storms and trees. Patrick is adept with dealing with the technicalities of expert evidence as well complex questions of causation that often arise in such disputes. Many of his cases involve issues of business interruption. He is comfortable advising on related issues of insurance policy coverage.
- Acting for the defendant main contractor in a c.£1m TCC claim arising from the escape of water at commercial premises (KC opponent)
- Acting (with Ben Quiney KC) in a c.£5m claim arising from fire damage caused by defective insulation in new build homes.
- Acting for the defendant main contractor in a c.£1m TCC claim arising from an electrical fire at commercial premises.
- Acting for a photovoltaic panel manufacturer in a c.£5m TCC claim arising from a fire at a residential housing development.
- Advising in a c.£1m claim arising from a fire caused by the negligence of a subcontractor at the premises of a major national bank that raised complex points of joint insurance.
- Acting for a major national television broadcaster in a claim for loss of advertising revenue suffered when transmission was interrupted by an electrical fire.
- Acting in a claim in which substantial damage was caused to high value premises by reason of defective plumbing.
- Advising in a number of claims concerning subsidence caused by tree root damage.
- Acting for a restaurateur who suffered substantial loss from business interruption as a result of flooding caused by negligent contractors.
- Acting in a claim for damage to a residential property caused by falling.
- Sky & Mace v Riverstone Managing Agency & Ors  EWHC 1207 (Comm)
- Andrew Rigney QC and Patrick Maxwell successful in TCC claim for declaration
- Crown Office Office Chambers and HKA Event – ‘The cost of Covid for construction: dealing with supply chain issues’
- BA Hons (First Class), University of Oxford
- GDL, City University
- BPTC, City University
- David Karmel Award, Grays Inn
- Holt Scholarship, Grays Inn
- Academic Scholarships, Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford