Patrick is instructed in professional negligence matters involving a wide range of professionals. Much of his work involves claims against construction professionals, solicitors and barristers. His experience also includes claims against insurance brokers, patent attorneys, accountants and IFAs. In his early years of practice, Patrick had a broad common law practice that included property and landlord and tenant matters. His experience across a variety of legal disciplines is invaluable in claims against legal professionals.
- Acting as sole counsel for the defendant structural engineer in a c.£1m TCC claim concerning defects in a newly constructed public building (KC opponent)
- Acting for the defendant accountancy firm in a claim concerning the allegedly negligent provision of advice in respect of a share-buy-back agreement.
- Acting (with Ben Quiney KC) in an arbitration concerning a coverage dispute under a professional indemnity policy.
- Acting (as sole counsel) for the defendant patent attorney in a claim worth up to £10m concerning the alleged failure to register a trademark.
- Acting for the claimants in a dispute concerning the negligent provision of accountancy services and tax advice which also involves allegations of breach of contract, fraudulent misrepresentations, bribery and breach of fiduciary duty (with Roger ter Haar KC).
- Successfully defending a claim brought against a surveyor about an alleged failure to identify major damage to structural timbers
- Acting for the defendant contract administrator in a c.£1m multi-party TCC claim concerning defects and the allegedly negligent certification of practical completion.
- Achieving a favourable settlement for a high net worth individual in a claim against a contract administrator arising out of extensive residential project.
- Acting on behalf of the defendant structural engineer in TCC proceedings concerning noise emission from Beetham Tower, Manchester.
- Successfully achieving the dismissal, at trial, of a claim against solicitors concerning the alleged under settlement of a personal injury claim.
- Achieving a favourable settlement for a commercial property developer in a claim against solciitors arising from the failure to advise on the presence of a sewer
- Acting for the defendant firm in a case concerning the adequacy of pre-conveyance surveys and
- Advising in a claim arising from solicitors allegedly negligent instructions in relation to an expert determination.
- Sky & Mace v Riverstone Managing Agency & Ors  EWHC 1207 (Comm)
- Andrew Rigney QC and Patrick Maxwell successful in TCC claim for declaration
- Crown Office Office Chambers and HKA Event – ‘The cost of Covid for construction: dealing with supply chain issues’
- BA Hons (First Class), University of Oxford
- GDL, City University
- BPTC, City University
- David Karmel Award, Grays Inn
- Holt Scholarship, Grays Inn
- Academic Scholarships, Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford