Insurance & Reinsurance
Patrick is frequently instructed by insurers in all the areas in which he practices. He has substantial experience of fraudulent claims as well as disputes concerning policy interpretation, avoidance of cover for nondisclosure, misrepresentation and breach of notification clauses.
- Acting (with Andrew Rigney KC) for insurers in a dispute under a contractor’s all risk policy in which the insured seeks to recover c.£170m
- Achieving a favourable settlement for the insured following extensive fire damage to a commercial property despite insurer’s allegations of non-disclosure
- Acting for the insured in a c.£5m dispute concerning the proper application of deductibles under a policy that provided cover for offshore wind farms.
- LB Harrow v Engie (2018) (TCC) Acting (with Andrew Rigney KC) in successful claim for a declaration as to the extent of the claimant’s obligation to take out a policy of latent defects insurance.
- Acting (with Ben Quiney KC) in an arbitration concerning a coverage dispute under a professional indemnity policy.
- Acting for the defendant insurer in a coverage dispute worth c.£1m that arose from a fire at business premises.
- Acting on behalf of underwriters in an arbitration concerning after the event insurance policies provided by solicitors under delegated authority.
- Acting for the insured in a c.£1m claim arising from flood damage where insurers seek to avoid the policy for alleged misrepresentations.
- Advising (with Andrew Rigney KC) on interpretation of a combined Public and Product Liability policy in a c.£3m property damage claim.
- Successfully achieving, at trial, the dismissal of the entirety of a claim under a travel insurance policy on the basis of a representation that exaggerated the value of a modest element of the claim.
- Acting in a claim concerning the validity of a settlement agreement in which it was alleged that a loss adjuster had acted without or in excess of the authority of its principle.
- Sky & Mace v Riverstone Managing Agency & Ors  EWHC 1207 (Comm)
- Andrew Rigney QC and Patrick Maxwell successful in TCC claim for declaration
- Crown Office Office Chambers and HKA Event – ‘The cost of Covid for construction: dealing with supply chain issues’
- BA Hons (First Class), University of Oxford
- GDL, City University
- BPTC, City University
- David Karmel Award, Grays Inn
- Holt Scholarship, Grays Inn
- Academic Scholarships, Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford
“Patrick gets to grips with what the claim actually is and his drafting is excellent. There’s never a point made that’s frivolous. He’s very homed in and very keen on the nub of the matters at hand.”.. “Patrick Maxwell is skilful, knowledgeable, approachable and user-friendly”
Chambers & Partners, 2024
“Patrick combines a truly exceptional intellect with being a user-friendly, normal person who is a pleasure to work with”…“Patrick is very sound and commercial and his advice is robust and well argued.”
Chambers & Partners, 2023