Insurance & Reinsurance
Patrick is frequently instructed by insurers in all the areas in which he practices. He has substantial experience of fraudulent claims as well as disputes concerning policy interpretation, avoidance of cover for nondisclosure, misrepresentation and breach of notification clauses.
- LB Harrow v Engie (2018) (TCC) Acting (with Andrew Rigney QC) in successful claim for a declaration as to the extent of the claimant’s obligation to take out a policy of latent defects insurance.
- Advising (with Andrew Rigney QC) on interpretation of a combined Public and Product Liability policy in c.£3m property damage claim.
- Successfully achieving, at trial, the dismissal of the entirety of a claim under a travel insurance policy on the basis of a representation that exaggerated the value of a modest element of the claim.
- Acting in a claim concerning the validity of a settlement agreement in which it was alleged that a loss adjuster had acted without or in excess of the authority of its principle.
- Advising in a claim for contribution arising out of damage caused by defective construction machinery. The case turned on the interpretation of the Construction Plant-hire Model Conditions for the Hiring of Plant.
- Andrew Rigney QC and Patrick Maxwell successful in TCC claim for declaration
- Chambers welcome new members Robert O’Leary and Patrick Maxwell
- BA Hons (First Class), University of Oxford
- GDL, City University
- BPTC, City University
- David Karmel Award, Grays Inn
- Holt Scholarship, Grays Inn
- Academic Scholarships, Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford