Nicola is instructed by insurers, individuals and Local Authorities in property damage claims brought in contract, nuisance, negligence, and pursuant to statute. Nicola’s property damage practice is often closely connected to and is complemented by her work in professional negligence claims involving construction professionals.
- Acting as sole counsel at trial and then as junior counsel in the Court of Appeal (with Stephen Tromans QC and Justine Thornton QC) in Williams(1) Waistell(2) v Network Rail Infrastructure Ltd  EWCA Civ 1514. The case raised a novel point of law concerning the recoverability of damages in nuisance following the encroachment of Japanese knotweed.
- Acting as sole counsel against leading counsel in a multi-million pound claim brought by a commercial retailer for business interruption arising out of a flood.
- Acting in a claim for business interruption caused by a flood at a number of holiday cottages in Wales.
- Acting in a claim involving water ingress from a neighbouring property resulting from a failure to adequately maintain drainage facilities.
- Acting in a claim for alleged damage to neighbouring property in the form of subsidence caused by a defective boundary wall. Successfully appeared at trial and subsequently at the hearing of the claimants’ appeal to the High Court.
- Acting and advising in a number of claims involving the encroachment of tree roots and invasive weeds.
- Acting in a number of subrogated claims arising out of the escape of water in residential and commercial premises.
Jules Thorn Scholarship (2011), Middle Temple
Astbury Scholarship (2010)
Middle Temple Exhibition Scholarship (2007)
- The illegality defence in solicitors’ negligence claims: Day v Womble Bond Dickinson  EWCA Civ 447
- BPTC, City Law School (2011-2012)
- Jules Thorne Scholarship, Middle Temple (2011)
- Graduate Diploma in Law, City University (2010-2011)
- Astbury Scholarship, Middle Temple (2010)
- MA, Legal and Political Theory, UCL (2009-2010)
- Academic Scholarships, St Catherine’s College, Oxford University (2006-2008)
- BA (Hons), Modern History, Oxford University (2005-2008)
LCLCBA (Secretary of the Association)
Professional Negligence: Technology & Construction in London (Bar) – Up and Coming
Professional Negligence: Leading Juniors – Tier 6 – ‘Very impressive.’
“Brilliant with clients and has real expert knowledge of the issues. She stands out for her attention to detail, and she has a 360-degree understanding of the case, so she can anticipate issues before they arise.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“She is exceptional. Nicola is very easy to communicate with and very approachable.”
Legal 500, 2021
“She is exceptional.”
Legal 500, 2020
“She has a phenomenal amount of energy and is a very switched-on junior.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020