Nicola is instructed in a wide range of professional liability matters, particularly in claims involving construction professionals, solicitors and surveyors and those linked to property damage. She frequently acts and advises in high value cases and is experienced in the cross examination of expert witnesses.
In the latest edition of Legal 500 Nicola is recommended as a leading junior for Professional Negligence and is described as “exceptional”.
- Acting as junior counsel for the defendant contractor/Pt 20 claimant in a multi-million pound claim concerning the design and installation of allegedly defective cladding at four hotel sites across the UK.
- Acting as sole counsel against leading counsel in a claim valued at £1.5 million brought by a pharmaceutical storage company against an HVAC contractor for the allegedly defective design of an air ventilation system.
- Acting for a firm of architects in arbitration proceedings to determine a fee claim in respect of a restaurant refurbishment in Covent Garden.
- Acting for a firm of architects in a claim brought for negligent design and exercise of contract administration duties during the course of a home refurbishment.
- Acting as junior counsel (with Ivor Collett) for a firm of structural engineers in a claim valued at £2.5 million concerning the development of a listed farmhouse property in Guernsey.
- Acting for a firm of solicitors in a claim brought in the High Court arising out of an ‘Identity Fraud’ conveyancing transaction. The firm had previously acted as solicitors for the purported vendors.
- Acting for a firm of solicitors in a claim alleging a failure to advise as to relevant planning restrictions during the course of a conveyancing transaction.
- Acting for a firm of solicitors in a claim brought in the High Court for negligent conduct of underlying clinical negligence proceedings which were served out of time under s14A Limitation Act 1980.
- Acting for a firm of solicitors in ongoing proceedings brought by a former client, a freehold owner of a residential terrace, for the negligent conduct of a claim for the recovery of rent and service charge arrears from a leasehold tenant.
- Acting in a fee claim brought by solicitors against a former client which were defended on the basis that the claimant firm had failed to enforce a costs order obtained in underlying proceedings.
- Acting in a claim brought against a firm of surveyors for the failure to identify widespread damp issues during the course of a Building Survey.
- Acting in claims brought against a number of surveyors for the failure to identify Japanese knotweed.
- Acting for a firm of estate agents in a claim involving the alleged failure to convey the existence of an increased offer to the vendors and a failure to comply with The Property Ombudsman Code of Practice.
View full profile »
Jules Thorn Scholarship (2011), Middle Temple
Astbury Scholarship (2010)
Middle Temple Exhibition Scholarship (2007)
- The illegality defence in solicitors’ negligence claims: Day v Womble Bond Dickinson  EWCA Civ 447
- BPTC, City Law School (2011-2012)
- Jules Thorne Scholarship, Middle Temple (2011)
- Graduate Diploma in Law, City University (2010-2011)
- Astbury Scholarship, Middle Temple (2010)
- MA, Legal and Political Theory, UCL (2009-2010)
- Academic Scholarships, St Catherine’s College, Oxford University (2006-2008)
- BA (Hons), Modern History, Oxford University (2005-2008)
LCLCBA (Secretary of the Association)
Professional Negligence: Technology & Construction in London (Bar) – Up and Coming
Professional Negligence: Leading Juniors – Tier 6 – ‘Very impressive.’
“Brilliant with clients and has real expert knowledge of the issues. She stands out for her attention to detail, and she has a 360-degree understanding of the case, so she can anticipate issues before they arise.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“She is exceptional. Nicola is very easy to communicate with and very approachable.”
Legal 500, 2021
“She is exceptional.”
Legal 500, 2020
“She has a phenomenal amount of energy and is a very switched-on junior.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020