Nicola is instructed by individuals, local authorities and insurers in claims involving personal injury including those under the Equality Act 2010 and the Human Rights Act 1998.
She has significant experience of personal injury trials, procedural applications and drafting pleadings at High Court and County Court level both as sole counsel and as part of a larger team.
- Acting for three defendants (a local authority, a police force and CAFCASS) in a claim brought under the Equality Act 2010 for discrimination, harassment and victimisation. Successfully appeared at the strike out hearing at which indemnity costs were ordered against the claimant.
- Acting for a school in a claim brought by a former pupil under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997, Data Protection Act 1998 and in negligence.
- Acting for a local authority in a stress at work claim brought by a former employee, a social worker, who alleged that she suffered psychiatric damage and distress as a result of her treatment at work.
- Acting for a local authority in a claim brought under the Equality Act 2010 in respect of alleged disability discrimination whilst providing the claimant with school transport.
- Acting for a local authority in a claim brought by a former employee for negligent misstatement, breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 and defamation following the provision of an allegedly inaccurate employment reference.
- Acting for a school in a claim brought for breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 and misuse of private data following covert filming of teachers and staff at a school by an employee.
- Acting for numerous NHS Trusts, local authorities and police forces in claims brought under the Occupier’s Liability Act 1957 and in negligence for accidents sustained by visitors and employees.
- Acting for Highways Authorities in claims brought under the Highways Act 1980 by injured pedestrians, motorists and cyclists.
- Acting for numerous insurers in RTA claims involving allegations of LVI and fundamental dishonesty, including pleading allegations of fraud.
- Acting for a local authority in a claim brought under Articles 3 and 8 ECHR for the failure by social services to remove children suffering from abuse.
- Acting for a local authority in a claim brought in negligence and under Articles 3 and 8 ECHR for the failure to perform its statutory functions under the Housing Act 1996.
- Acting as junior counsel for the Metropolitan Police in a claim brought under Articles 2 and 8 ECHR by the relatives of a man who was shot and killed whilst holding his girlfriend hostage at knife point. The claim was dismissed after a two week trial in July 2018.
- Acting as junior counsel (with Ivor Collett) for a local authority in a six week inquest involving the death of a child as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Acting in a jury inquest involving the death of a delivery driver following a dog bite.
- Acting for a number of local authorities in inquests involving deaths at care homes.
- Acting in inquests involving the death of prisoners and patients detained under the Mental Health Act 1983.
Jules Thorn Scholarship (2011), Middle Temple
Astbury Scholarship (2010)
Middle Temple Exhibition Scholarship (2007)
- The illegality defence in solicitors’ negligence claims: Day v Womble Bond Dickinson  EWCA Civ 447
- BPTC, City Law School (2011-2012)
- Jules Thorne Scholarship, Middle Temple (2011)
- Graduate Diploma in Law, City University (2010-2011)
- Astbury Scholarship, Middle Temple (2010)
- MA, Legal and Political Theory, UCL (2009-2010)
- Academic Scholarships, St Catherine’s College, Oxford University (2006-2008)
- BA (Hons), Modern History, Oxford University (2005-2008)
LCLCBA (Secretary of the Association)
Professional Negligence: Technology & Construction in London (Bar) – Up and Coming
Professional Negligence: Leading Juniors – Tier 6 – ‘Very impressive.’
“Brilliant with clients and has real expert knowledge of the issues. She stands out for her attention to detail, and she has a 360-degree understanding of the case, so she can anticipate issues before they arise.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“She is exceptional. Nicola is very easy to communicate with and very approachable.”
Legal 500, 2021
“She is exceptional.”
Legal 500, 2020
“She has a phenomenal amount of energy and is a very switched-on junior.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020