Insurance & Reinsurance
Nicola is regularly instructed in insurance disputes and has previously been seconded to the construction and engineering risk department of a leading firm of solicitors. She has dealt with coverage issues, Third Parties’ rights and disputes over policy wording. Her recent cases include:
- Advising insurers on aggregation, exclusion and liability cap clauses in a claim valued at £6 million.
- Advising PI insurers in respect of the merits of a claim under the 1930 Act involving a successor practice.
- Advising insurers on the proper construction of a write-back for liabilities that would have arisen in contract/tort (defective premises).
- Obtaining a strike out of a claim under the 1930 Act (in relation to an underlying PI policy) based on defective pleadings.
- Acting for motor insurers in a number of cases involving material non-disclosure and misrepresentation.
Selected CasesView full profile »
Jules Thorn Scholarship (2011), Middle Temple
Astbury Scholarship (2010)
Middle Temple Exhibition Scholarship (2007)
- Ben Quiney QC and Nicola Atkins obtain anti-suit injunction in the Commercial Court
- Crown Office Chambers are delighted to welcome Ivor Collett and Nicola Atkins
- The illegality defence in solicitors’ negligence claims: Day v Womble Bond Dickinson  EWCA Civ 447
- BPTC, City Law School (2011-2012)
- Jules Thorne Scholarship, Middle Temple (2011)
- Graduate Diploma in Law, City University (2010-2011)
- Astbury Scholarship, Middle Temple (2010)
- MA, Legal and Political Theory, UCL (2009-2010)
- Academic Scholarships, St Catherine’s College, Oxford University (2006-2008)
- BA (Hons), Modern History, Oxford University (2005-2008)
LCLCBA (Secretary of the Association)
Professional Negligence: Technology & Construction in London (Bar) – Up and Coming
Professional Negligence: Leading Juniors – Tier 6 – ‘Very impressive.’
“Brilliant with clients and has real expert knowledge of the issues. She stands out for her attention to detail, and she has a 360-degree understanding of the case, so she can anticipate issues before they arise.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“She is exceptional. Nicola is very easy to communicate with and very approachable.”
Legal 500, 2021
“She is exceptional.”
Legal 500, 2020
“She has a phenomenal amount of energy and is a very switched-on junior.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020