Michael has regularly advised and acted for claimants and for professional indemnity insurers in relation to claims against accountants, solicitors and other professionals. Work has included:
- Acting for claimant in successful claim in negligence against a firm of solicitors in relation to setting up of charitable trust for the Eden Project; allegations of failure to protect co-founder’s interest; conflict of interest and breach of fiduciary duty; loss of a chance measure of damages.
- Acting for defendant accountancy firm in claim in negligence for alleged over valuing of take-over target.
- Acting for commercial surveyors and estate agents meeting allegations of fraudulent misuse of confidential information in connection with development opportunity – valuation of lost net development value – constructive trusts.
- Acting for lending bank in claim in negligence against surveyor in relation to valuation of commercial property to stand as security; issues as to approach to quantum of lender’s award.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Michael Kent QC reviews the Supreme Court judgments of Barclays Bank Plc & WM Morrison Supermarkets Plc
- Crown Office Chambers feature in three of The Lawyer’s Top 20 cases of 2019
- Michael Kent QC appeared on the instructions of Keogh’s for the successful appellants in Catholic Welfare Society & Ors v CD
- Inns of Court School of Law (1973 – 1975)
- BA (Hons) Politics, University of Sussex (1970 – 1973)
- Nautical College, Pangbourne (1965 – 1969)
- Recorder of the Crown Court
- Deputy High Court Judge (Queen’s Bench Division and Administrative Court).
- He is a Bencher of the Middle Temple
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association (Chairman 2011-13)
- Administrative Law Bar Association
- Chairman of working group on expert witnesses for Inns of Court College of Advocacy (2018)
“He has the most wonderful advocacy style – he’s calm, silky and measured.” “He is hugely intelligent and pleasure to work with.”
Chambers & Partners 2020
“He is particularly strong handling high-profile group litigation.”
Legal 500 2020
“A highly skilled advocate who is able to get to grips with the most complex of issues…The epitome of a smooth operator. An excellent QC whom I can’t recommend highly enough.”
Chambers & Partners 2018
“A very high-quality silk.”
Legal 500 2017
“He has a profound understanding of legal principles and how to construct a case.”
Legal 500 2017
“he is very well respected and you would instruct him in any significant disease cases”
Chambers & Partners 2016
very intelligent and capable of very quick thinking on his feet”
Legal 500 2016
a highly intelligent advocate, who has particular experience in group actions”
Chambers & Partners 2015
“a highly intelligent, very responsive silk”
Legal 500 2015
“extremely bright..the finest appeal advocate I have ever seen”
Chambers & Partners 2014
“good for complex cases”
Legal 500 2014