Mek practises in commercial dispute resolution, with particular emphasis on insurance & reinsurance, professional indemnity, construction, energy & infrastructure, arbitration, property damage, sale of goods, product liability, insolvency and jurisdictional/conflict of law disputes.
Mek regularly appears as sole counsel in the High Court and County Courts and has appeared led in the Court of Appeal. He is instructed in disputes which are litigated, arbitrated, adjudicated, mediated, as well as those resolved through other fora.
Before coming to the Bar, Mek studied Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Corpus Christi College, Oxford and then completed his GDL and BPTC at City Law School, London.
During his early years of practice, Mek appeared in Court on a daily basis and cut his teeth in front of a variety of tribunals. He still frequently appears in Court (on approximately a weekly basis) in trials, costs/case management conferences and procedural applications.
Mek is a TECBAR and CPA accredited Adjudicator and is regularly appointed to determine a variety of disputes.
Mek is a contributing author of (1) Emden’s Construction Law and (2) the online Lexis legal database. He is also frequently asked to review textbooks in his areas of expertise (recent reviews include Construction Insolvency 6th Ed. by Richard Davis and Construction Professional Indemnity Insurance by Paul Reed QC).
In conjunction with his practice in chambers, Mek has also completed a number of secondments in the litigation departments of prominent City / International law firms in the past 3 years. This has given him a strong understanding of the different commercial issues faced by clients and both sides of the legal profession.
Mek regularly gives seminars in his areas of expertise. In recent years he has given seminars, amongst others, on the following topics: liquidated damages, the Disclosure Pilot, Fire claims, Seeking and Resisting the Enforcement of Adjudicator’s awards; the Professional Negligence Adjudication Scheme; Getting the Best out of Counsel; Strategy in Professional Negligence and Damages.View full profile »
- Best Memorandum (Honourable Mention), Willem C. Vis Moot (2014)
- Monckton Chambers European Law Essay Prize, Finalist (2013)
- Prince of Wales BPTC and Residential Scholar, Grays Inn (2013)
- Bar Council Law Reform Essay Competition, Prize Winner (2012)
- Herbert Smith/The Times Advocacy Competition, Prize Winner (2012)
- David Karmel GDL Scholar, Gray’s Inn (2012)
- One Essex Court / The Times Law Awards, Finalist (2012)
- Oxford Law Society Essay Prize, Winner (2011)
- Sir Isaiah Berlin Prize, Corpus Christi College, Oxford (2011)
- Sharpston Scholarship, Corpus Christi College, Oxford (2010)
- SSE Scholar, English Speaking Union (2009)
- Mek Mesfin considers the case of ICCT v Pinto  4 WLUK 289
- Clarification of the appropriate test for causation in insurance brokers’ negligence cases
- Bar Professional Training Course, City Law School (2013 – 2014)
- Graduate Diploma in Law, City Law School (2012 – 2013)
- BA (Hons), Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford (2009 – 2012)
- TECBAR Adjudicator
- Member of Panel of Adjudicators for the Construction Plant Hire Association.