Matthew has a busy personal injury practice, acting for both claimants and defendants.
He is regularly instructed in fast and multi-track cases involving road traffic accidents, claims against highway authorities, employers’ liability claims, public liability claims, and occupiers’ liability claims. He accepts instructions on a CFA basis.
Matthew has particular experience of employers’ liability claims in the healthcare industry, including representing (through RCN Law) nurses who have contracted tuberculosis (TB) at work due to the inadequate provision of PPE. He is therefore well-placed to undertake cases where healthcare workers have contracted Covid-19 due to inadequate PPE.
He is also quickly developing experience of stress at work cases, including cases involving bullying and sexual harassment.
Matthew has a busy paperwork practice and regularly advises on prospects of success and quantum. He has extensive experience drafting pleadings, including schedules of loss and counter-schedules (including in fatal claims).
He is also developing experience of claims involving fraud and fundamental dishonesty.
- Representing multiple nurses who contracted tuberculosis whilst working in hospitals due to inadequate PPE;
- Representing NHS Trusts in multiple claims brought by nurses who were attacked by patients;
- Representing a Theatre Support Worker who dislocated her knee whilst transferring a patient;
- Representing an NHS Trust in a claim by an employee who was injured while pushing a records trolley;
- Representing a warehouse employee of a well-known supermarket chain following an accident involving a defective pump-powered truck;
- Representing a manufacturer in a claim by an employee who burned his hand whilst using an injection moulding machine;
- Representing a manufacturer in a claim by an employee who slipped on water spilled from pipes attached to an injection moulding machine;
- Representing a machine operator whose fingers were amputated while using a milling machine which did not have a guard in place;
- Representing a billboard company in a claim by an employee who injured his finger while trying to close a billboard;
- Representing a well-known poultry company in a claim by a lorry driver who was injured when a lorry of live turkeys overturned;
- Representing an animal sanctuary employee who was kicked and crushed by a horse;
- Representing a kennels assistant who was attacked by a dangerous dog during a police assessment;
Stress at Work:
- Representing a law firm in a claim by a former employee alleging that she was bullied and sexually harassed by another former employee working in the same department;
- Representing the Care Quality Commission (CQC) in a claim by an inspector who was injured during her commute to work against a background of alleged harassment and discrimination;
- Representing a private hospital in a claim by a patient who fell whilst attempting to mobilise after using the toilet;
- Representing a care home in a claim brought by a former patient with vascular dementia;
- Representing a young girl who was injured at school when she was hit in the face by a football after the morning break;
- Representing a school in a claim by a pupil who was injured falling over a hurdle during a PE lesson;
- Representing a college in a claim by a young boy who was injured when he ran into a rope;
- Representing a work experience student who was injured when he was left unsupervised on a large rubble heap at a plant hire site;
- Representing a lady who was injured during an exercise class at a gym when she slipped on hair and dust on the floor;
- Representing a man who lost consciousness and went underwater while swimming in a pool at a campsite;
- Representing an airport worker who was injured when a lifejacket and oxygen tank was thrown at him by an offshore oil worker;
- Representing a port security worker who was injured when she slipped on ice on a ship berth which had not been properly gritted;
- Representing a lady who was injured when a broken rubbish chute lid fell on her foot in a council building block;
- Representing a local council in a claim by a tenant who allegedly fell on a broken paving slab;
- Representing a haulage company in a claim by a purchaser who was injured when a pallet of firewood fell on top of him;
- Representing a well-known high-street store in a claim by a shopper was injured when a large frying pan fell on her foot;
- Maxwell Law Prize (2014) – top graduating law student
- JD & Elizabeth Marsden Prize (2014) – outstanding academic and extracurricular achievement
- Clyde & Co Prize in EU/EC Trade Law (2012) – best performing student in EU law
- Bar Transfer Test, BPP Law School (2018)
- Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School (2015), Distinction
- LLB (Hons) Law with American Law, University of Nottingham (2010 – 2014), First Class with Distinction in American Law (top graduating student)