Matthew has quickly developed a strong clinical negligence practice, acting for both claimants and defendants. He is regularly instructed by NHS Resolution and medical defence organisations.
He is instructed as sole counsel in matters proceeding in the High Court, as well as the County Court, and is comfortable leading conferences with claimants, witnesses and experts and attending settlement meetings and mediations.
He accepts instructions on a CFA basis.
Obstetrics and gynaecology:
- Alleged failure to arrange a CT urogram following a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH) and ovarian cyst removal which would have led to the earlier identification and treatment of a pelvic abscess;
- Allegedly causing and failing to identify and repair a vesicovaginal fistula during a total laparoscopic hysterectomy (TLH) and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy (BSO);
- Allegedly causing and failing to identify and repair a ureteric obstruction injury during and after a lower segment caesarean section (LSCS);
- Alleged failure to identify and repair an obstetric anal sphincter injury (OASIS) during instrumental delivery and a major post-partum haemorrhage (PPH);
- Alleged failure to obtain informed consent for a vaginal hysterectomy, or to offer fibroid shrinkage treatment beforehand, which resulted in internal bleeding;
During pupillage, Matthew assisted Farrah Mauladad successfully defending an NHS Trust in the High Court in a shoulder dystocia claim valued at over £1 million – the judgment is reported here.
- Alleged failure to advise in relation to soft tissue reconstruction of the central slip at the proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joint of the right middle finger.
- Alleged failure to arrange for blood tests following a left total knee replacement (LTKR) which would have led to the earlier identification and treatment of acute kidney injury (AKI);
- Alleged negligent stretching of the peroneal nerve during a left total knee replacement;
- Alleged negligent damage to blood vessels during a PIP and DIP fusion of the left toes;
- Alleged wrongful discharge of a patient with a critically ischaemic right foot;
- Alleged failure to identify a lesion on the claimant’s right lung which then progressed to Stage 4 cancer;
- Alleged failure to identify stenosis within the claimant’s arteries and / or collateralisation of the arteries which led to the claimant dying from undiagnosed chronic mesenteric ischaemia;
- Alleged failure to appropriately clean and close an elbow wound following a road traffic accident;
- Alleged failure to admit the claimant for a critically ischaemic foot and treat with anticoagulation pending an angiogram;
- Alleged failure to properly monitor a patient with falling haemoglobin levels who subsequently entered cardiac arrest and died;
- Alleged negligent removal of a urethral catheter (by failing to deflate the balloon) causing a traumatic penile injury;
- Alleged failure to obtain advice from a Tissue Viability Nurse (TVN) request a GP visit or call 999 where a patient’s pressure sores had deteriorated;
- Alleged failure by a GP to diagnose Bowen’s disease or make a referral to a dermatologist;
- Alleged failure by a Healthcare Assistant (HCA) to refer a patient with herpes simplex encephalitis (HSE) to a GP for further review;
- Alleged failure of two prison doctors to identify and treat a prisoner’s periodontal disease;
- Alleged failure to advise and negligent removal of UL6 causing the palatal root to be pushed into the maxillary sinus and damage to UL7;
- Maxwell Law Prize (2014) – top graduating law student
- JD & Elizabeth Marsden Prize (2014) – outstanding academic and extracurricular achievement
- Clyde & Co Prize in EU/EC Trade Law (2012) – best performing student in EU law
- Bar Transfer Test, BPP Law School (2018)
- Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School (2015), Distinction
- LLB (Hons) Law with American Law, University of Nottingham (2010 – 2014), First Class with Distinction in American Law (top graduating student)