Lara is developing her practice in this area and has a particular interest in product liability claims involving medical products, devices and drugs. Her background in biochemistry and cell biology makes her very comfortable grasping and analysing the complex issues involved with these claims.
She recently acted as junior counsel (led by Michael Spencer QC and Alexander Antelme QC) for the manufacturer in the Pinnacle metal-on-metal hip implant group litigation, which involved a four-month QBD trial.
- The Metal-on-Metal hip litigation (2018) – Lara was part of the team of five Counsel, led by Alexander Antelme QC, acting for DePuy International Limited. DePuy succeeded at first instance following a four month trial of a preliminary issue relating to ‘defect’ under the Consumer Protection Act 1987. The Claimants did not seek permission to appeal.
- BPTC (Outstanding), College of Law, London (2011 – 2012)
- Graduate Diploma (Distinction), BPP Law School, London (2011)
- PhD, Pembroke College, University of Cambridge (2005 – 2009)
- BSc (First Class Honours), University of Bristol (2002 – 2005)