Steelworks and Processing Plant
- Sole arbitrator for ICC arbitration seated in Abu Dhabi for disputes arising out of a contract for the water cooled chiller package for a high profile mixed use development in the UAE.
- Appointed ICC sole arbitrator for expedited procedure of claims concerning an industrial water treatment plant in Czech Republic.
- Acting as party-appointed Arbitrator in an ICC Arbitration for a fertilizer terminal in Tanzania.
- Decided as Adjudicator claims by international consultants for services provided at UK steelworks.
- Adjudicator for a dispute between steelwork supplier and contractor for a UK LNG processing plant.
- Advising a Japanese chemical company successfully resisting construction claims for a chemical processing plant in the UK at an extended series of arbitration hearings under ICC rules in London.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Kim Franklin QC to chair MBL’s Construction Law – 2022 Virtual Conference
- Roger ter Haar QC and Kim Franklin QC – ‘Is Factual Witness Evidence Best Avoided? – The Key Issues Considered’
- Kim Franklin QC to join panel at upcoming CIArb London Branch and KCL webinar: “Streamlining Evidence In Construction Disputes”
- Roger ter Haar QC, David Sears QC and Kim Franklin QC appointed to ADGM Arbitration Centre – Panel of Arbitrators
- Chartered Arbitrator (2000)
- Accredited Adjudicator (1998)
- FCIArb (1997)
- LLB, University of Warwick (1983)
Publications and Conferences
- Joint editor of the long established Construction Law Journal.
- With Susan Lindsey, Kim was well known for their popular Legal Column in The Architects Journal.
- Inspirational speaker for professional women.
- Panel chair for CIArb DAS Convention (2019, 2020).
- Panel speaker at GAR Live, Paris Arbitration Week (2019).
- Chairing MBL Construction Law Conferences (2019, 2018 and 2017).
- Presented papers to the Society of Construction Law, Cardiff, Derby (2018) and UK Conference (2016).
- Lecturer, Construction Law MSc, Kings College London.
- ICC UK Arbitration & ADR Committee Member
- Technology & Construction Courts Barristers Association (TECBAR)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (London Branch Public Relations and former PCC Chair)
- Society of Construction Arbitrators (Former Committee Member)
- Society of Construction Law (Former Council Member)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Worshipful Company of Arbitrators (Liveryman)
- Arbitral Women.
“She is always a pleasure to work with. She is really good at reducing complicated matters and she is always one of the best prepared.”
Chambers & Partners, 2022
“She is very sharp and commercial but also pleasant to deal with.”; “She has everyone eating out of her hand. If there are two warring parties, Kim as arbitrator gets them to cooperate and calms everybody.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“She is very practical, good with clients, and writes extremely clearly and immediately.” “She is very well organised and very good at keeping the parties to the mark.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“An excellent new silk”
Legal 500, 2017
“Terrific with clients.”
Chambers & Partners, 2017
“A skilled advocate with a pragmatic approach.”
Legal 500, 2017
“She has a deep knowledge of construction law.”
Chambers & Partners, 2016
“A true construction expert, especially good on international cases.”
Legal 500, 2015
“She has a good , firm hand on the tiller and is very good at steering a case.” “She shows a great deal of energy and endless patience.” “She gets the job done and puts her back into it..”
Chambers & Partners, 2015
“extremely talented” with “formidable attention to detail and enormous experience.”
Chambers & Partners, 2014
“very thorough and brings sense to document-heavy cases without any fuss”
Legal 500, 2010