Power Energy and Recycling Systems
- Adjudicator for specialist contractor’s delay and variation claims under IChemE rules, for process engineering works for an energy from waste plant in the UK’s South East.
- Adjudicator for specialist contractor’s claims for losses during works at an UK energy recovery plant.
- Adjudicator for high value damages claims for defective turbine at a UK waste to energy plant.
- Tribunal Chair, ICC arbitration seated in London for a contract for a power plant in Pakistan.
- CIArb appointed Adjudicator for completion disputes for a biomass plant in the UK’s North.
- Party Appointment, ICC arbitration seated in London arising out of a UK biomass power station.
- Party Appointment, ICC arbitration seated in London arising out of a refinery project in Egypt.
- Party Appointment, ICC arbitration seated in Geneva. EPC contract for a power plant project in Iraq.
- PFI Panel Adjudicator for serial disputes under a contract for a UK BMT waste processing plant.
- Adjudicator for claims for international engineering services for a UK waste recovery park.
- Successfully acting as leader for an Antiguan power provider’s Privy Council Appeal against the American International Bank.
- Advising a power company on claims against the Antiguan Government for breach of a Joint Venture Agreement in favour of rival foreign contractors. At first instance, the Eastern Caribbean Court of Appeal and appearing in the successful appeal to the Privy Council.
- Advising power providers in connection with claims for the construction of power plants in the UK in a series of arbitration hearings of claims, including the construction of the piled foundations.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Sustainable ADR – Recalibrating for the Future
- Kim Franklin QC C.Arb FCIArb and Susan Lindsey C.Arb FCIArb to join CIArb International Women’s Day event
- Kim Franklin QC to join panel at upcoming CIArb London Branch and KCL webinar: “Streamlining Evidence In Construction Disputes”
- Roger ter Haar QC, David Sears QC and Kim Franklin QC appointed to ADGM Arbitration Centre – Panel of Arbitrators
- Chartered Arbitrator (2000)
- Accredited Adjudicator (1998)
- FCIArb (1997)
- LLB, University of Warwick (1983)
Publications and Conferences
- Joint editor of the long established Construction Law Journal.
- With Susan Lindsey, Kim was well known for their popular Legal Column in The Architects Journal.
- Inspirational speaker for professional women.
- Panel chair for CIArb DAS Convention (2019, 2020).
- Panel speaker at GAR Live, Paris Arbitration Week (2019).
- Chairing MBL Construction Law Conferences (2019, 2018 and 2017).
- Presented papers to the Society of Construction Law, Cardiff, Derby (2018) and UK Conference (2016).
- Lecturer, Construction Law MSc, Kings College London.
- ICC UK Arbitration & ADR Committee Member
- Technology & Construction Courts Barristers Association (TECBAR)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (London Branch Public Relations and former PCC Chair)
- Society of Construction Arbitrators (Former Committee Member)
- Society of Construction Law (Former Council Member)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Worshipful Company of Arbitrators (Liveryman)
- Arbitral Women.
“She is very sharp and commercial but also pleasant to deal with.”; “She has everyone eating out of her hand. If there are two warring parties, Kim as arbitrator gets them to cooperate and calms everybody.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“She is very practical, good with clients, and writes extremely clearly and immediately.” “She is very well organised and very good at keeping the parties to the mark.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“An excellent new silk”
Legal 500, 2017
“Terrific with clients.”
Chambers & Partners, 2017
“A skilled advocate with a pragmatic approach.”
Legal 500, 2017
“She has a deep knowledge of construction law.”
Chambers & Partners, 2016
“A true construction expert, especially good on international cases.”
Legal 500, 2015
“She has a good , firm hand on the tiller and is very good at steering a case.” “She shows a great deal of energy and endless patience.” “She gets the job done and puts her back into it..”
Chambers & Partners, 2015
“extremely talented” with “formidable attention to detail and enormous experience.”
Chambers & Partners, 2014
“very thorough and brings sense to document-heavy cases without any fuss”
Legal 500, 2010