Kim Franklin QC is a recognised specialist in the construction, engineering and infrastructure sectors. She acts predominantly as arbitrator, dispute board member and adjudicator, resolving disputes arising from complex projects in international arbitration, dispute boards and as UK construction adjudicator. Appointed for numerous ICC, ADCCAC and DIAC arbitrations in the UK, the UAE and GCC, she acts as Sole Arbitrator, Party Appointed and Tribunal Chair.
Appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2016, Kim has a flair for technically complex, document-heavy disputes, with a reputation for clarity, strong case management and sound strategic judgment.View full profile »
- Sustainable ADR – Recalibrating for the Future
- Kim Franklin QC C.Arb FCIArb and Susan Lindsey C.Arb FCIArb to join CIArb International Women’s Day event
- Kim Franklin QC to join panel at upcoming CIArb London Branch and KCL webinar: “Streamlining Evidence In Construction Disputes”
- Roger ter Haar QC, David Sears QC and Kim Franklin QC appointed to ADGM Arbitration Centre – Panel of Arbitrators
- Chartered Arbitrator (2000)
- Accredited Adjudicator (1998)
- FCIArb (1997)
- LLB, University of Warwick (1983)
Publications and Conferences
- Joint editor of the long established Construction Law Journal.
- With Susan Lindsey, Kim was well known for their popular Legal Column in The Architects Journal.
- Inspirational speaker for professional women.
- Panel chair for CIArb DAS Convention (2019, 2020).
- Panel speaker at GAR Live, Paris Arbitration Week (2019).
- Chairing MBL Construction Law Conferences (2019, 2018 and 2017).
- Presented papers to the Society of Construction Law, Cardiff, Derby (2018) and UK Conference (2016).
- Lecturer, Construction Law MSc, Kings College London.
- ICC UK Arbitration & ADR Committee Member
- Technology & Construction Courts Barristers Association (TECBAR)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (London Branch Public Relations and former PCC Chair)
- Society of Construction Arbitrators (Former Committee Member)
- Society of Construction Law (Former Council Member)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Worshipful Company of Arbitrators (Liveryman)
- Arbitral Women.
“She is very sharp and commercial but also pleasant to deal with.”; “She has everyone eating out of her hand. If there are two warring parties, Kim as arbitrator gets them to cooperate and calms everybody.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“She is very practical, good with clients, and writes extremely clearly and immediately.” “She is very well organised and very good at keeping the parties to the mark.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“An excellent new silk”
Legal 500, 2017
“Terrific with clients.”
Chambers & Partners, 2017
“A skilled advocate with a pragmatic approach.”
Legal 500, 2017
“She has a deep knowledge of construction law.”
Chambers & Partners, 2016
“A true construction expert, especially good on international cases.”
Legal 500, 2015
“She has a good , firm hand on the tiller and is very good at steering a case.” “She shows a great deal of energy and endless patience.” “She gets the job done and puts her back into it..”
Chambers & Partners, 2015
“extremely talented” with “formidable attention to detail and enormous experience.”
Chambers & Partners, 2014
“very thorough and brings sense to document-heavy cases without any fuss”
Legal 500, 2010