Hotel and Leisure Complexes
- Acting as Adjudicator for contractor’s claims arising from troubled conversion of historic hotel building into residential accommodation.
- Acting as Arbitrator for disputes concerning the management of leisure and holiday parks in the UK.
- Acting for an international joint venture for the construction of a hotel and residential complex on the Jumeriah Palm, Dubai at DIAC arbitration in Dubai.
- Advised international lawyers in the BVI representing developers of a hotel complex in St Lucia.
Selected CasesView full profile »
- Dubai Arbitration Week 2023
- Kim Franklin KC to speak at The Adjudication Society Annual Conference 2023
- Kim Franklin QC to join panel at upcoming CIArb London Branch and KCL webinar: “Streamlining Evidence In Construction Disputes”
- Roger ter Haar QC, David Sears QC and Kim Franklin QC appointed to ADGM Arbitration Centre – Panel of Arbitrators
- King’s Counsel – 2016
- Chartered Arbitrator/FCIArb – 2000/1997
- Accredited Adjudicator – 1998
- Called to the Bar (Middle Temple) 1984
- LLB University of Warwick 1983.
Publications and Conferences
- Joint editor of the long-established Construction Law Journal. With Susan Lindsey, Kim was well known for their popular Legal Column in The Architects Journal.
- Inspirational speaker for professional women IWD (2021-2022).
- Chairing MBL Construction Law Conferences (2017- 2022).
- Speaker at Society of Construction Arbitrators conference 2022.
- Panel chair for CIArb DAS Convention (2019, 2020).
- Panel speaker at GAR Live, Paris Arbitration Week (2019).
- Lecturer, Construction Law MSc, Kings College London
- ICC UK Arbitration & ADR Committee Member, Technology & Construction Courts Barristers Association (TECBAR).
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Specialist Adjudication Group former London Branch PRO and PCC Chair).
- Society of Construction Arbitrators (Former Committee Member).
- Society of Construction Law (Former Council Member).
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA).
- Worshipful Company of Arbitrators (Liveryman).
- Arbitral Women.
A well-regarded silk with expertise in complex international disputes involving engineering infrastructure projects, Kim Franklin QC acts in DIAC and ICC arbitrations in the UK and the Gulf.
- Kim is a delight to work with; sensible and proactive. (2023)
- She is always a pleasure to work with. She is really good at reducing complicated matters and she is always one of the best prepared. (2022)
- She has everyone eating out of her hand. If there are two warring parties, Kim as arbitrator gets them to cooperate and calms everybody. (2021)
- Very well organised and good at keeping the parties to the mark. Writes extremely clearly and immediately. (2019)
- Clever, practical and no-nonsense, she has no airs and graces and is fun to work with. (2018)
- She has a good, firm hand on the tiller and is very good at steering a case. She shows a great energy and endless patience. She gets the job done and puts her back into it (2015)
- A true construction expert, especially good on international cases (2015)
- Extremely talented with formidable attention to detail and enormous experience (2014)
“Kim is a delight to work with; sensible and proactive.”
Chambers & Partners, 2023
“She is always a pleasure to work with. She is really good at reducing complicated matters and she is always one of the best prepared.”
Chambers & Partners, 2022
“She is very sharp and commercial but also pleasant to deal with.”; “She has everyone eating out of her hand. If there are two warring parties, Kim as arbitrator gets them to cooperate and calms everybody.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“She is very practical, good with clients, and writes extremely clearly and immediately.” “She is very well organised and very good at keeping the parties to the mark.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“An excellent new silk”
Legal 500, 2017
“Terrific with clients.”
Chambers & Partners, 2017
“A skilled advocate with a pragmatic approach.”
Legal 500, 2017
“She has a deep knowledge of construction law.”
Chambers & Partners, 2016
“A true construction expert, especially good on international cases.”
Legal 500, 2015
“She has a good , firm hand on the tiller and is very good at steering a case.” “She shows a great deal of energy and endless patience.” “She gets the job done and puts her back into it..”
Chambers & Partners, 2015
“extremely talented” with “formidable attention to detail and enormous experience.”
Chambers & Partners, 2014