Kim Franklin KC is a recognised specialist in the construction, engineering and infrastructure sectors. She acts as a full-time arbitrator, dispute board member and adjudicator, resolving disputes arising from complex projects in international arbitration, dispute boards and as UK construction adjudicator. Appointed for arbitrations under ICC, LCIA, ADCCAC and DIAC rules in the UK, Europe and the Gulf, she acts as Sole Arbitrator, Party Appointed and Tribunal Chair.
Appointed King’s Counsel in 2016, Kim has a flair for technically complex, document-heavy disputes, with a reputation for clarity, strong case management and sound strategic judgment.View full profile »
- Kim Franklin KC to speak at The Adjudication Society Annual Conference 2023
- Dubai Arbitration Week, 14-18 November 2022
- Kim Franklin QC to join panel at upcoming CIArb London Branch and KCL webinar: “Streamlining Evidence In Construction Disputes”
- Roger ter Haar QC, David Sears QC and Kim Franklin QC appointed to ADGM Arbitration Centre – Panel of Arbitrators
- King’s Counsel – 2016
- Chartered Arbitrator/FCIArb – 2000/1997
- Accredited Adjudicator – 1998
- Called to the Bar (Middle Temple) 1984
- LLB University of Warwick 1983.
Publications and Conferences
- Joint editor of the long-established Construction Law Journal. With Susan Lindsey, Kim was well known for their popular Legal Column in The Architects Journal.
- Inspirational speaker for professional women IWD (2021-2022).
- Chairing MBL Construction Law Conferences (2017- 2022).
- Speaker at Society of Construction Arbitrators conference 2022.
- Panel chair for CIArb DAS Convention (2019, 2020).
- Panel speaker at GAR Live, Paris Arbitration Week (2019).
- Lecturer, Construction Law MSc, Kings College London
- ICC UK Arbitration & ADR Committee Member, Technology & Construction Courts Barristers Association (TECBAR).
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Specialist Adjudication Group former London Branch PRO and PCC Chair).
- Society of Construction Arbitrators (Former Committee Member).
- Society of Construction Law (Former Council Member).
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA).
- Worshipful Company of Arbitrators (Liveryman).
- Arbitral Women.
A well-regarded silk with expertise in complex international disputes involving engineering infrastructure projects, Kim Franklin QC acts in DIAC and ICC arbitrations in the UK and the Gulf.
- Kim is a delight to work with; sensible and proactive. (2023)
- She is always a pleasure to work with. She is really good at reducing complicated matters and she is always one of the best prepared. (2022)
- She has everyone eating out of her hand. If there are two warring parties, Kim as arbitrator gets them to cooperate and calms everybody. (2021)
- Very well organised and good at keeping the parties to the mark. Writes extremely clearly and immediately. (2019)
- Clever, practical and no-nonsense, she has no airs and graces and is fun to work with. (2018)
- She has a good, firm hand on the tiller and is very good at steering a case. She shows a great energy and endless patience. She gets the job done and puts her back into it (2015)
- A true construction expert, especially good on international cases (2015)
- Extremely talented with formidable attention to detail and enormous experience (2014)
“Kim is a delight to work with; sensible and proactive.”
Chambers & Partners, 2023
“She is always a pleasure to work with. She is really good at reducing complicated matters and she is always one of the best prepared.”
Chambers & Partners, 2022
“She is very sharp and commercial but also pleasant to deal with.”; “She has everyone eating out of her hand. If there are two warring parties, Kim as arbitrator gets them to cooperate and calms everybody.”
Chambers & Partners, 2021
“She is very practical, good with clients, and writes extremely clearly and immediately.” “She is very well organised and very good at keeping the parties to the mark.”
Chambers & Partners, 2020
“An excellent new silk”
Legal 500, 2017
“Terrific with clients.”
Chambers & Partners, 2017
“A skilled advocate with a pragmatic approach.”
Legal 500, 2017
“She has a deep knowledge of construction law.”
Chambers & Partners, 2016
“A true construction expert, especially good on international cases.”
Legal 500, 2015
“She has a good , firm hand on the tiller and is very good at steering a case.” “She shows a great deal of energy and endless patience.” “She gets the job done and puts her back into it..”
Chambers & Partners, 2015
“extremely talented” with “formidable attention to detail and enormous experience.”
Chambers & Partners, 2014