Juliet has a broad clinical negligence practice. She is instructed by claimants, the NHSR, medical defence organisations, insurers of private medical institutions and insurers of allied health professionals. She is currently instructed as sole counsel for matters proceeding in the High Court, as well as those in the County Court. She accepts instructions on a CFA basis.
Juliet is skilled at analysing medical records, confident when discussing clinical conduct with experts and benefits from personal knowledge of the realities of working in hospitals and primary care. Further, having conducted medical research both in the UK and abroad, she is adept at critical analysis of scientific and epidemiological studies.
Juliet has a particular interest in Obstetric and Gynaecological cases. Recent instructions as sole counsel have concerned:
- Third and fourth degree perineal tears
- Obstetric fistulae
- Delayed diagnosis of cervical stenosis after treatment for early cervical cancer
- Postnatal Streptococcal infections
- Bowel injury after laparoscopic fertility surgery leading to laparotomy and a bowel stoma
- Alleged failures to adequately consent for instrumental delivery and/or Caesarean Section
- Alleged failures to comply with birth plans regarding mode of delivery.
Other recent instructions have concerned:
- Delayed A&E investigation of a patient with evolving cauda equina syndrome
- A Fatal Accident Act claim regarding the delayed diagnosis of laryngeal cancer
- Peripheral nerve dysfunction after spinal discectomy surgery
- Delayed diagnosis of prostate cancer after missed PSA follow up in primary care
- Somatoform disorders including functional epilepsy
- Administration of a vaccine in primary care leading to anaphylaxis
- Delayed diagnosis of retinal detachment leading to loss of sight in one eye
- A Fatal Accident Act claim regarding the day release of a patient under mental health section
- Delayed diagnosis of biliary atresia in a neonate precipitating early liver transplantation
- Alleged delayed diagnosis of a TB in an individual serving time in prison.
Juliet also acts on behalf of allied health professionals. Recently she has acted on behalf of a physiotherapist alleged to have induced a stroke, for a hypnotherapist in relation to a claim arising from treatment for tinnitus and for a psychotherapist whose conduct was impugned during family law proceedings.
Juliet remains registered as a doctor with the General Medical Council, and is a member of the Professional Negligence Bar Association and Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA). She has given seminars on topics including non-delegable duties in healthcare and consent during labour.
As a pupil, Juliet assisted Alexander Antelme QC who was acting for the defendant Trust in XYZ v Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells NHS Trust  EWHC 2687 (QB), which related to the clinical management of a child who had suffered significant brain damage as a result of meningitis. After a two week trial, the claim was dismissed.View full profile »
- Queen Mother’s Scholarship, Middle Temple, 2015
- Prize winner, Marion Simmons QC Essay Competition, Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers, 2015
- Astbury Scholarship, Middle Temple, 2014
- Highest ranked novice debating pair (team and individual speaker scores) at the Inner Temple IV Moot, 2014
- Excellence in Leadership Award, London Medical Deanery, 2011
- Proxime accessit, Final Medical Examinations, University of Oxford, 2010
- Undergraduate Academic Scholarship, Hertford College, University of Oxford, 2005-07
- Crown Office Chambers feature in three of The Lawyers Top 20 cases of 2019
- Settlement in JR v Sheffield Hospitals: Roberts v Johnstone remains in suspended animation
- Appealing findings made by the TCC: guidance from the Court of Appeal
- High value interim payment applications with a negative discount rate
- BPTC, City University (2016)
- GDL (Distinction), City University (2015)
- Part 1 Membership Examination, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (2011)
- Medicine BM BCh (Distinction), University of Oxford (2010)
- Medical Sciences MA (First Class), University of Oxford (2007)