Insurance & Reinsurance
In addition to his general property damage practice, Josh has been instructed on insurance disputes including:
- Advised insurers on coverage with respect to a six-figure subsidence claim;
- Advised on behalf of managing agents of a Lloyd’s Syndicate with respect to a potential c.£200,000 claim against third party claims handlers;
- Advising in relation to a claim under the Third Parties (Rights against Insurers) Act 2010 including various issues of policy coverage;
- Settling a defence to a contribution and/or indemnity claim involving issues of interpretation of indemnity clauses and s.1(4) of the Civil Liability (Contribution Act) 1978;
- Settling a defence to a claim for economic losses following an alleged collision with a railway bridge made against an insurer under the Third Parties (Rights against Insurers) Act 2010;
- Advising insurer clients as to a potential claim against an uninsured driver pursuant to an indemnity agreement;
- Advising as to the correct interpretation and effect of a contractual obligation to take out joint insurance;
- Advising on jurisdiction under Article 13 of the Brussels Regulation in a contribution claim against an Italian insurer;
- Advising (during pupillage) on whether the benefit of an indemnity policy had successfully been assigned to the prospective claimant;
- Advising as to limitation issues in an insurance coverage dispute.
Selected CasesView full profile »
Winner of the Times Law Awards (2016)
Winner of the Maitland Advocacy Prize (2015)
Gray’s Inn (2016): Bedingfield Scholarship.
Gray’s Inn (2015): CPE/GDL Award.
City Law School (2015): GDL Scholarship.
- An Exercise in Utility: Liquidators Adjudicating Construction Disputes
- Extensions of time and adjournment during COVID-19: Muncipio De Mariana & Ors v BHP Group Plc and BHP Group Ltd  EWHC 928 (TCC) (20 April 2020)
Bar Professional Training Course (2016-2017): City Law School
Graduate Diploma in Law (2015-2016): City Law School
MPhil, Merton College, University of Oxford (2013-2015)
BA (Hons), Merton College, University of Oxford (2010-2013), First Class
“Joshua is a very forensic lawyer – he will fully analyse the contract and surrounding law to provide a well-reasoned argument.”
Rising Star, Legal 500, 2023