Construction & Engineering
Josh has a busy construction practice. Josh is familiar with standard form contracts including NEC and JCT. His recent and current instructions in this area include:
- Acting in a 5-day trial of a construction dispute in the TCC;
- Advised in relation to a c. £2.6 million dispute alleging design defects in an anaerobic digestion plant. Led by Ben Quiney QC;
- Advising and drafting submissions in the context of an expert determination of a c.£600,000 dispute relating to alleged defects in a newly built residential property;
- Acting in a mediation in a c.£500,000 dispute relating to time for completion of works and NEC compensation events;
- Acted for the responding employer in a c.£90,000 true value adjudication;
- Advised on prospects in a breach of contract claim against sub-contractors involving issues of whether the sub-contractors were engaged on a labour-only basis or to provide work and materials, and the potential for pursuing claims against employees pursuant to Lister v Romford Ice;
- Advised as to prospects of success in a claim relating to defective construction of an extension, involving issues of breach of contract, the Building Regulations and time for completion;
- Settled Particulars of Claim for damages relating to the installation of a balcony at residential premises;
- Settling Particulars of Claim in a claim by main contractors against sub-contractors for the cost of rectification works in a roof construction project;
- Advising and settling Particulars of Claim in relation to damage following the construction and installation of interior doors involving allegations of breach of contract/negligence as well as the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015;
- Advising on disputes relating to the Construction Plant Hire Association (CPA) terms, including issues of incorporation and exclusion / limitation clauses;
- Settled a Defence and Additional Claim against sub-contractors in a claim relating to alleged defects in a new build property. The Additional Claim involved issues of breach of contract, the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999, negligence, the Civil Liability (Contribution) Act 1978 and the Defective Premises Act 1972.
Josh is also a contributing editor to Emden’s Construction Law and co-authored the latest chapter on The National House-Building Council and the NHBC Schemes.
Selected CasesView full profile »
Winner of the Times Law Awards (2016)
Winner of the Maitland Advocacy Prize (2015)
Gray’s Inn (2016): Bedingfield Scholarship.
Gray’s Inn (2015): CPE/GDL Award.
City Law School (2015): GDL Scholarship.
- An Exercise in Utility: Liquidators Adjudicating Construction Disputes
- Extensions of time and adjournment during COVID-19: Muncipio De Mariana & Ors v BHP Group Plc and BHP Group Ltd  EWHC 928 (TCC) (20 April 2020)
Bar Professional Training Course (2016-2017): City Law School
Graduate Diploma in Law (2015-2016): City Law School
MPhil, Merton College, University of Oxford (2013-2015)
BA (Hons), Merton College, University of Oxford (2010-2013), First Class