- Instructed by insurers in relation to the fire at the Penhallow Hotel, Newquay in 2007, the largest hotel fire in the country for more than 30 years, including the inquest (3 fatalities), the prosecution by the Cornwall County Council for breaches of fire regulations, and the civil proceedings.
- Instructed by insurers in relation to a substantial fire at light industrial premises in Gloucester, following the delivery of a defective fork lift truck which caught fire.
- Instructed by insurers on behalf of property developers in relation to substantial fires on two of their building sites in Peckham and Camberwell.
- Instructed by insurers in appeal in case where defendant found not negligent in relation to the escape of fire from his tyre repair premises in light industrial park in Herefordshire, but found liable pursuant to the rule in Rylands v Fletcher: Stannard t/a Wyvern Tyres v Gore: see selected cases.
- Instructed by insurers in respect of a fire at a waste management centre in Garforth near Leeds, and resultant environmental/pollution claims, when water used to extinguish fire, together with chemicals from site, polluted neighbouring watercourses.
- Continued success for Crown Office Chambers in Chambers UK 2015 Directory
- Court of Appeal judgment on Rylands v Fletcher strict liability for the escape of fire
- MA (Law) Trinity College, Cambridge
- London Common Law & Commercial Bar Association
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
“Possesses excellent legal and procedural knowledge, and is able to grasp complex facts quickly.” “Hands on, proactive, thorough and dependable,” “he definitely commands the confidence of the court.”
Chambers & Partners UK Bar
“Bright, creative and good with clients.”
Legal 500 2017
“he’s a very robust, experienced, diligent advocate who knows the territory like the back of his hand. Clients like him very much, he speaks their language and he’s a delight to work with” ; “I go to him when I’ve got a complex, difficult question of law. He is an incredibly accomplished senior lawyer with the backing of long experience in this area”; “He is incredibly well prepared and once on his feet he is formidible”
Product Liability: 'Leader at the Bar (Chambers UK 2016)
“an experienced heavyweight”
Product Liability: 'Leader at the Bar (Legal 500 2016)
“very detail-oriented and practical, he gets to grips with the facts very readily” ; “he has excellent legal and procedural knowledge, and is able to grasp complex facts quickly”
Product Liability: 'Leader at the Bar’ (Chambers UK 2015)
“clearly recognised in the courtroom as an experienced product liability silk”
Product Liability: 'Leading Silk' (Legal 500 2015)
“an outstanding master of detail” ; “A very astute leader who is enormously experienced in group litigation. That gives him a headstart over the competition. He’s tactically sound also, and shows very fine judgement when dealing with the court.” ; “He has excellent legal and procedural knowledge, and is able to grasp complex facts quickly”
Product Liability: 'Leader at the Bar' (Chambers UK 2014)
“a tenacious and logically compelling advocate”
Product Liability: 'Leading Silk' (Legal 500 2014)
“at the top of his game”
Product Liability: 'Leading Silk' (Legal 500 2013)
“an extremely knowledgeable and able barrister” ; “he’s a good strategic thinker, and a very fine advocate”
Product Liability: 'Leader at the Bar' (Chambers UK 2012)
“he is a true heavyweight who you’d be happy to use against anyone”
Property Damage: 'Leader at the Bar' (Chambers & Partners 2015)
Industrial Disease/ Personal Injury: (Legal 500 2007-2013)