James has extensive experience in property damage disputes arising out of explosions, fires and floods. He deals with coverage, recoveries and defences. His experience includes being led in large property damage disputes in the TCC as well as acting unled.
- Murphy v Barnsley MBC: successfully defended a flooding claim following a 4 day trial in September 2018 (instructed by Kennedys).
- Acting as sole counsel in £300k recovery action in the TCC resulting from an escape of water (instructed by RPC).
- Acting in a multi-million pound subrogated claim arising out of a large fire (with Andrew Rigney QC).
- Acting in a party wall dispute, which also concerns a claim to a right to light.
- Acted for homeowners against surveyors over an alleged failure to detect damp, which successfully settled on confidential terms.
- Successfully defended a tree root claim in a three day trial in the Central London TCC List (instructed by Clyde & Co).
- Howmet v EDL  B.L.R. 555 ;  EWCA Civ 847 (with Ben Quiney QC) – In the Court of Appeal acting for a factory owner in a recovery action resulting from a serious fire that caused £24m losses arising from an alleged failure of failsafe devices (instructed by RPC). James also appeared at first instance in a 3-week trial in the TCC (157 Con. L.R. 1;  EWHC 3933 (TCC)).
- James Sharpe successfully defends flooding claim
- Very late amendments refused by the Commercial Court: BAGA v PSL & Ors
- Walter Wigglesworth Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2011)
- European Commission Scholarship (unable to accept), Lincoln’s Inn (2009)
- Blackstone’s Mooting Competition (finalist) (2009)
- BVC, City Law School (2008 – 2009)
- Hardwicke Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn (2007)
- BA (Hons) Jurisprudence, Somerville College, University of Oxford (2004 – 2007)